Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatloaf Recipe from Athens Eggfest

Options
Lake Conroe Egger
Lake Conroe Egger Posts: 285
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Several people requested the recipe for the meatloaf I served in Athens. Someone on the forum posted a link to this recipe some time ago and search as might I couldn't find out who it was. This is the the actual tweak to that recipe as it was served in Athens. This makes a LOT of meatloaf. I make multiple loaves and freeze, vacpac and store in the freezer for quick access as needed. Here ya go:

Ain't Momma's Meatloaf for 40

Description: This is a tweak to a recipe from Jamison & Jamison`s Smoke and Spice.

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp Oil
3 cups Minced Onion
3 Sweet Pepper (Green Or Red)
20 Garlic Cloves
3 Tbsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
3 Tbsp Salt (I Used Coarse Kosher)
1 Tbsp Ground Cumin
8 pounds Ground Beef, (I ground up an 8lb. brisket (trimmed about 2lbs. fat off) and 3lbs. sirloin)
5 pounds Ground Pork, (I ground up a 6lb. pork butt)
10 cups Dry Bread Crumbs , (I used Panko)
1 ¼ cups Sour Cream
1 cup Worcestershire Sauce
7 Egg
1 ⅔ cups Beef Stock
3 Tbsp Tabasco
Dizzy Pig Cow Lick
Your Favorite Barbecue Sauce, (I used Carnavore - Chipotle)

Directions:
In a heavy skillet, warm the oil and then saute the onion, bell pepper, garlic, pepper, salt and cumin until the vegetables are softened. Spoon the vegetable mixture into a large bowl and let cool for a few minutes.

Add the remaining ingredients and mix well with your hands. Form into loaves and sprinkle liberally with DPCL.

Set up the Egg for an indirect fire and a raised grid. Stabilize the fire at around 350 and add a few chunks of your favorite mild wood.

Put the loaves on the grid and close it all up.

It will take between and hour and an hour and a half to finish. I used an internal of 160 as my target. When you`re relatively sure that you`re about a half hour from finish, coat the top of the meatloaf liberally with your favorite barbecue sauce. Allow the loaf to rest 10 minutes before slicing.

The only thing that surpasses the dinner of this meatloaf is the left over sandwiches!

Comments

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :woohoo:

That was GREAT meatloaf, Frank!
    Thanks for the recipe :kiss:
  • kolbdriver
    kolbdriver Posts: 403
    Options
    The meatloaf was fantastic, and Colleen's Cinnamon rolls were super.
    Sure enjoyed seeing you guys again, and I will sent that jig as soon as I get time to make them.
    IMG_3772.jpg

• mysterygaltx
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe! I sure am glad you gave me a few pieces of the meatloaf to take home with me. After the long drive home I warmed it up and it made a killer sandwich! Like I died and went to meatloaf heaven.
    Had a great time and cant wait til next fest.
    And those cinnamon rolls were da bomb!

Judy Poole
    Plano,TX
    Mysterygaltx
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    That was so good. Already have it in my Living Cookbook file....of course I had to change it to 10 because I don't even know 40 people to have over for meatloaf :laugh:
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA