Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Distributer Gives Mini to Deployed Soldier

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got off the phone to our Cpt. in Afghanistan (forum: Peterplant76). Told him would see what I could do at Fort Hood to get a Mini his way.
What I did do good was talk with our Texas area distributer (Paragon Distributing) and they are going to give (n/c) a Mini and Stand to be sent if I can get it over there.
After talking with people at Fort Hood I found it will be much easier to mail it.
I want to send with enough lump to last.
When I get the info as to price will send a note out to get coverage on money. Should not be much as only have mail and lump.
Mickey
Please understand the distributer did this on a one time deal.
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    wow to cool!! we will pitch in for sure just tell me where to send the $. what about some rubs or small light stuff to pack around it like that?
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    That's cool, props to the Texas dealership!

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Mickey
    Steve it was Greg.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Way to go Mickey! never know til'ya ask. ;)
  • Mickey
    Send no money till I get a better idea. Just looking at the computer and guessing about 60 lbs (if I am looking correctly) the shipping by US Post will run about $85 with ins. Add lump and shipping can't be all that much.

• How cool it that? Is it for that guy Peterplant? or whatever his name is that was asking how to get one shipped over. Have you been in touch with him?
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Pretty cool... cudo's for the distributor and to you for heading this up.

guessing you will be shipping to a APO so rates will be domestic other than customs forms. Insurance will be important.

wondering if the base could/would transport to the base over there via military transport. Sometimes the base out here will transport 'gifts' to the troops at no cost.

Thanks for the effort.

Kent
  • Mickey
    Kent I have friends on base and and was told to use UPS. So much quicker and paperwork.

• Mickey
    Faith a Cpt Chris Pearson called me this morning from Afghanistan before I nailed down the mini. He will call again Tue's morning. We have talked by email and he is much happy.
    I ask him about the Peterplant76 (if it was him or friend)and no email back yet.

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

They would know best.

Kent
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    I'm in when you get the info.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Mickey: It is the same person. I sent Peterplant an email via the forum, and the reply was from CPT Pearson (C.).
  • HungryMan
    I'll throw in a t shirt if they e mail a pic back of it in Afghanistan. Would like to see the shirt on a tank while they blow something up, but a non-action shot will be good also.
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    He was talking about wanting to make pizzas - best setup would be those 8.5" stones from Amazon and the mini woo. I don't know if the donated mini would have the 10" old or 9.5" new stainless grid, though. The mini only works with the 10" grid.

Of course, pizza stones are also heavy and fragile...
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Hey Ya'll,

I would like to thank Mickey, the distributer, and everyone at the forum for contributing to this project and making this a reality.

HungryMan: I will see about getting the shirt on a tank for ya but I don't know about any action shots. lol. Thanks for the shirt though.

Everyone Else: If there is anything yall need from this side of the world don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks Again,
    Chris
  • Mickey
    Al send an XL. You have my address or do you need it again.
    This is the note back from Chris:
    That is too cool. XL. I don't know about a tank but I think I can get it on some of the vehicles we have. That was alot of traffic just for one hour on the forum.

• Mickey
    BJ the new ones all come with the SS 9.5 till they run out. I was told it will be a long time on the 9.5's......
    Tom can't do the 9.5.

• TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Let us know where to send the $$ and we'll make sure this serviceman get's his lump.

Hat's off to the Texas distributor who ponied up the Mini. That's the spirit of America that I know and love.

*edit*
    Hat's off to Paragon Distributing. Wish I were local, I'd support you guys for sure.

Nice work!
    Ted
  • Mickey
    Ted that would be: Paragon Distributing.

• Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Mickey, you have such a big heart and we love you for it. Please count us in when you get the amount you need.

"the girls at the Chicken Ranch" and that one big bad rooster....
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    And for those who aren't following the original thread...

This started with this post:
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1092581&catid=1
  • HungryMan
    I have to send some tomorrow, I'll send one. I had to reorder some "Just Egg It" but I have others.
  • Mickey
    Russ Allen the GM of Keiths Ace Hardware in Salado just sent me a note and he is buying the lump. You guys and girls from the Salado Egghead Gathering remember Russ, one of the good guys.

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Mickey, could you please give us the email to send thank you's to them both? this is wonderful.
  • Mickey
    Hat's off to these two guys, please send thank you to:

Greg Prather:
    greg@paragondistributing.com

Russ Allen: rallen@keithhardware.com

• uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    Mickey, I didn't think you could top the Salado Egghead Gathering, but this is way over the top. Thanks for your efforts to put this all together. You are a class act, right in there with many other eggheads. Count me in for some cash.

Uglydog
  • Mickey
    Just talked with Chris at The Mother Ship.
    Ship the mini:
    In talking with Chris, his idea is to take it apart from the box and repackage each part in bubble wrap. Pack with lump in much larger box and lots more wrap.
    This sounds fine, just checking to see if any other suggestions come up.
    Let me add, Chris sure did sound like he knew of what he spoke....

• Great Big Green Egg Champions, all of you B)
  • Mickey
    After that last ride is all the bugs off your face :laugh:

Mr Uglydog and his friend rode m/c's from PA to Salado,TX for our little party.

Thank you my friend.