Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Breast of Veal ala BGE

Options
stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
first, this photo is proof that i am simultaneously the best DAD in the world, and the worst parent.

my son's dinner saturday night. :unsure:
00_MOINKS-for-H.jpg

sunday we tried a stuffed breast of veal. this thing was less than 3 bucks a pound. about 8+ dollars for four adult servings, easily. Nice cook. i will do this again.

please excuse the pic quality, as these are from an iPhone

fixings for the stuffing

01_stuffing-Ingredients.jpg

9 or 10 ounces of washed baby spinach, black olives, half an onion, some cheapo premade (storebought!) mini-meatballs (left over from a run of moink balls for thursday and saturday cooks), and the ends off of one of my pancettas from april.

the veal breast actually came with a pocket already cut, but i had to extend it greatly, as it was kind of a 'ho-hum' attempt by the butcher. work a filet knife in there and really open it up, take it within maybe a half inch of the edges

02_veal-breast-pocket.jpg

over a fire (about 400 dome) on a raised grid, with grape vine and a small amount of hickory, until you get some nice color

03_searing-for-color.jpg

while thats' on, toss the pancetta in with the diced meatballs, then add onion, then chopped olives, then finally the spinach, til wilted

04_cooked-stuffing.jpg

let the meat rest while the stuffing cools a bit

04a_pause-to-refresh.jpg

(the real test of a brewery is their pils. nothing to hide behind)

then stuff it good, packing it in there quite firmly. sew it shut or pin with skewers. I threaded butcher's twine, but it can pull out. go around a rib if you can. (it looked frankly like i had made my own homemade baseball glove). put it to braise in a small roasting pan, with a few carrots, couple stalks of celery, quartered onion, thyme, pepper

05_tied-and-ready-to-go.jpg

add wine (i used red, since we had no cheap-o white on hand), cover, and let it simmer in a 350-400 degree egg for two hours.

06_simmering.jpg

(the red wine dyes everything s little purple-brown. would be fancier-schmancier with white wine)

pull and let rest about 15 minutes.
07_resting.jpg

and (sad photo, here, sorry). slice between the ribs. you could slide the ribs out if you really wanted and then slice however thick you wanted.

08_sliced.jpg

serve with a nice bottle of wine that your friends who know wine gave to you the last time they visited, but don't tell anyone it was a gift, thereby making it look like you know all about wine when you really don't

09_served.jpg
ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments

• Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    Options
    Wow...
    Great cook...
    very very nice...
    Hope to replicate it someday...
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Very cool that you found a veal breast, can't get those around here. Nice call on the Chardonnay - red wine usually pairs with veal, but personally, I drink what I like, so I am with you on your choice.

Yes, you are a terrible dad! But, hey, it's still better than fast food.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Man, that veal looks tasty
    Great pics for an iphone :)

Shane
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    Nice draw on the bones. Bet you didn't need a knife for that fall apart comfort food.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    you had me drooling right up to the meatballs LOL kidding you that looks great even if the pics are no better than mine!!
  • stike
    Options
    the meatballs are just beef and spices, really. there's no mystery meat or crazy 'chemicals' in them. ideally you'd use italian sausage, but instead of going out and getting some, i used the cheap-o meat-a-balls.
  • stike
    Options
    no need for a knife. in fact, you know those little white cartilage 'bones' in ribs? you could slide them out entirely. could even pull the ribs out. but i just sliced between them for easier serving
  • stike
    Options
    i threw a little photoshop at them to brighten them. they display brighter on the iPhone. not sure why so dark when i yank them onto my machine
  • stike
    Options
    oh, i'm not a terrible dad. he LOVED it. terrible parent, sure :laugh:
  • stike
    Options
    thanks very much
  • BBQR
    BBQR Posts: 68
    Options
    looks good. Nice quality food!
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Wow! That looks really good. We don't see veal in our grocers down here, but then I would be happy with the meat balls! :) :laugh:
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    Stike, the old creole chefs down here made something called a veal pocket. It was A veal shoulder with the blade removed....stuffed with oyster dressing and baked. One of the most delicious things I ever ate. However, Your cut appears tpo be of the rib variety. It sure looks outstanding, wherever it came from.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Really great meal! Full of nice fresh flavors that are layered. Love that.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    wow first you gave the kid bacon and store bought meatballs covered in sugar sauce, then you exposed him to that piece of meat that hung in your basement for six weeks gathering who knows how much bacteria, then you stuffed it inside a piece of meat you sliced with a knife exposing it to yet more bacteria, then you probably didn't even take it to 135...... :laugh:

Looks great though. If he gets sick I'm calling dss.... :)
  • stike
    Options
    he won't get sick. he's more man than most of the guys here :laugh:
  • stike
    Options
    layered, literally and figuratively. yeah, it was great. very mild flavor, so the stuffing plays a big role in it all. the veal got great color even while braising, too. beautiful looking cut, despite the muddy fuzzy pics.

thx, cb
  • stike
    Options
    yeah, it's from the ribs, sorta just under where the brisket might be, or a little back of it.

great flavor, but mild.
    thx for the thumbs-up.
  • stike
    Options
    no veal at all? i hadn't seen the breast before, but we have shoulder and the more typical cuts
  • stike
    Options
    thx bbqr.
    -J
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    EEEWWWWW! I saw a blue spot on the meat.It must have been rancid! :laugh: AWESOME, as usual my friend! ;)
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Outstanding! I have done a couple of veal breasts and need to do another one soon.
  • stike
    Options
    veggie-dye usda stamp... ;)

(entirely edible)
  • stike
    Options
    was a good cook for a sunday.
    thanks
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    It looks excellent. I have never seen a whole one. Love to try one as a low and slow.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    Options
    i just finished it for lunch. it is essentially a rib cook after all. i hit it with smoke, and then braised it. call it the 1-2-0 method :laugh: