Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Morning after.......

egret
egret Posts: 4,168
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All I can say is wow and double wow!!! What a great response and turnout we had at our inaugural fest. We don't have final figures yet, but, we think we had close to 400 "walk-ins" along with 345 registered tasters. The cooks, while numbering in the mid 50's, more than pleased the crowd. Many of us had food left over so we were well prepared for whatever they wanted to throw at us! :laugh: The North GA Eggers were there in force along with many other incredible cooks and they were the heart and soul of this event with all their experience and knowledge and my heartfelt thanks go out to all of you. You guys are the ones that "make" a fest and you, literally, outdid yourself this time.
Kim Youngblood (vidalia1) conducted a BGE 101 class and Mike Storno (Pork Butt Mike) did one on chicken wings. Both of these were over-the-top successful! :ohmy: We put 20 chairs out for the classes and there turned out to be 75-80 people in attendance and they stayed around asking questions for 2 1/2 hours! You two spent a lot of time preparing for these classes and all I can say is : THANK YOU!!
The dealer sold out all the eggs they brought and had to go back to the store and get more. They even sold the burn-in egg I use for the demo cooks at the dealer's store! :ohmy: Their stock is nearly zero now on just about everything.
I always thought the Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds would be a perfect place to have a fest and I think, judging from all the comments, many others thought so too! :lol:
Well, on to a critique meeting with my committee next week and planning for the 2nd annual GA Mountain Eggfest May 18th and 19th, 2012! :woohoo: Mark your calendars........it's gonna be bigger and better next year!!

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Congrats John, I knew with you at the helm it would be a good one. Hope to be there next year.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    John there was not doubt in my mind that it would be a roaring success!! You are to seasoned an egger and all round class act not to. plus look at the guest list :) congrats John :kiss:
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    John, Great job organizing the first Georgia Mountain Eggfest. From all of the feedback I have recieved, it was a smashing success. KUDOs..LC and I are planning for this one next year.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • CNL
    CNL Posts: 96
    Great job Mr. Hall. I enjoyed the event immensely. My first time cooking at a fest and it was perfect. I look forward to getting back to Hiawassee next spring.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    well done sir, enjoy your sunday. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • OconeeDawg
    OconeeDawg Posts: 149
    Congrats. I wish I could have made it. Next year I will try my best to make it. I would really like to meet all of you guys in person. I am planning on going to the Eggtoberfest!
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Man, what an event!

I did not cook (now wish I had), burt what a GREAT place and GREAT effort by everyone!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    That was your FIRST? man. Sounds like it was well run and well attended.
    Congrats on your success. Your numbers i think surpass the NE fest handily.

Well done
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    John I will be posting pics a little later but man o man did you knock it out of the park. The event was awesome, the crowd was great and the food & friends was even better..You & Joan are fabulous host & hostess and are real class acts. Thanks for letting us join with y'all to get the ball rolling on a great tradition in the Georgia Mountains.... ;):)
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    John you and Jane set the standard really high for other fest to compete with.We really enjoyed it and will be back next year.Thanks for everything you guys did.Kaye and Jenny really enjoyed the Kris Kristofferson concert last night also.

Larry
  • I am so sorry to have missed it! I just knew it would be a great fest. Congrats to you, John, and your eggfest team.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Thank you John for putting together such a great fest :woohoo: I had a great time,and already have my calender marked for next year :) It was great seeing so many old friends,and meeting new ones.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Congrats on your hard work John!! You might see me next year.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Congrats John on a very successful eggfest! :cheer: Sounds like a terrific place at the fairgrounds. I'll be lookin for pic's.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Far and away the absolute best fest I have ever been a part of. The crowd was terrific and every single person seemed to have a huge smile on their face all day long. Certainly the most appreciative and polite group of tasters I've witnessed.

I'm tired, sore, I have a pile of dishes to wash, and my throat is killing me from all the screaming coming from the "Rednecks in Booth 9" - and I can't wait to do it again.

Hats off to you John, and I think you deserve a third standing ovation from all the cooks - we really appreciate all the effort to make things so easy and convenient for all of us to do what we enjoy.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    John, y'all did an exceptional job. Btw, when should I come backover and pick up the mini :whistle:
  • outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    john, again, what a great fest... i am spoiled, first cook so all others will be judged by this one. met some great folks and will certainly be back next yr....

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Sure would have been awesome to have been there. We have had a full weekend with kid stuff Friday and Saturday.

The little Huff might have like the fest better than taking one on the nose. I missed the 'money' shot by a fraction of a second but the expression is pretty good I think but then I didn't get hit by a kid twice my weight either :whistle:

He actually took first place getting punch in the nose. Face contact is not allowed so he was awarded the winning point. Some points you earn the hard way I guess.

Earningthepointthehardway.jpg
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Egret, My dear friend, CONGRATULATIONS on such a wonderful, and smashing success!! We know quite well what goes into pulling off events like this...and you sure did a wonderful job!! A true and heartfelt CONGRATS to you, and all, for a job VERY well done!!! (Though we never had a doubt! ;) ) Hope to see you there next year!
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Rub a little Thousand Island on it....It'll be fine :P
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning John:

Thank you for a FANTASTIC fest...the venue was perfect (except for having to nail down the Eggs so they wouldn't roll down the hills :laugh: )...You & Joan were the perfect host/hostess at dinner on Thursday...can't wait to get back up there next year!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Really glad everything came off well. I was a bit concerned that there might be a reduced turn out for the after party being that it was after 6 pm. But, it appears all worked out well.

Great job, My Friend.

Mike
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    all for your kind comments! It turned out to be a pretty doggone successful fest! We owe our thanks to the Georgia Mountain Fair for providing this incredible venue.........not just for the fest but for the meet and greet as well as the after-party. It's gonna be bigger and better next year so mark your calendars for May 18th and 19th, 2012.
  • MCR
    MCR Posts: 270
    John,

Looking at the pictures and reading the comments, after meeting you and tasting your ham in Florida... I had to add an item to my Bucket list.

This look as a great location!

See you next year!
    Marc
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    egret, I just got home :( , sure wish I was still in Hiawassee, Georgia with my egging brethren.

There is absolutely no need for you to attend that critique meeting......it will be a waste of time. Your fest was perfect and like it or not, I'm coming back next year for the 2nd annual Egretfest! :P :lol: :woohoo: :silly:

You and Joan are the epitome of southern hospitality. Thank you so very much for planning and executing such a wonderful fest.
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    John,
    This NGE-member hated to miss this one! I knew it would be a smashing success. God-willing- and no more kids with Spring Football games- I'll be there next year with bells-on! :woohoo:
  • EggyBear
    EggyBear Posts: 4
    Fine job, John. We had a great time. It was our first Eggfest. It most definitely will not be our last. We are already set for 2012! Again, thank you!