Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Socal Eggfest pics and notes

rsmdale
rsmdale Posts: 2,472
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A big thank you to Shad Stilkey and his family and crew from Outdoor Kitchen Creations for throwing a great event.The weather was perfect!! and the food was even better.Their was a big variety of egged food.I am sorry if I leave out any cooks,it was a busy day.There was bbq chicken pizza,grilled squash,cochinita pibil nachos,grilled hotdogs with pulled pork and bbq sauce(this was the runner up for peoples choice)we did our Abt's,their was smoked short ribs w/bourbon glaze,bar towel pork loin(A very interesting technique)they were served w/ chedder biscuits.there was a fabulous smoked salmon,pulled pork sandwiches,grilled cheese sandwiches w/ prime rib!! smoked tri-tip sandwiches.
001-61.jpg
prepping 300 peppers is alot of work
003-69.jpg
004-66.jpg
Kruse bacon did well
002-62.jpg
009-36.jpg
007-60.jpg
005-55.jpg
005-55.jpg
Cactus Doug with his bbq helper
003-68.jpg
041-1.jpg
Our traditional cooks toast of Jack!!
040-2.jpg
051-1.jpg
Last years champion Jesse celebrating his b- day in style
062-1.jpg
bar towel pork loin being prepped
025-11.jpg
time for some abt's the people are coming
027-6.jpg
064-2.jpg
050-1.jpg
069-1.jpg
The excitement overwhelms some
071.jpg
This happened to find its way into our booth
072.jpg
A great end to a fun day !! See you next year

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE

Comments

• rsmdale
    Sorry I messed up and left some photo's out.It was also great to eet all the eggheads that came by the booth.Gary(Eggary)Lake Mead Rick,Jerry Stone was in from Biggreen egg headquarters and all the other people it was good friends and good eats!!
    021-17.jpg
    Cactus Doug and his BBQ buddy

Dale
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Great pics, thanks for sharing. -RP
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Thanks for the pictures Dale. You must have preppped peppers for a few hours. Congrats on the trophy!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Dale,
    It was nice meeting you and your ABTs were very good. Like I said yesterday, I was surprised they were not hot. I was expecting the heat but there was none there.

I did learn a few new things at the EGGFEST as well. Thanks for all the information as it will make me a better EGGER. This is one thing that is good about this Forum as well as the EGGFESTS.

Thank you.

Gary
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Thanks for the pic's Dale. ;)
  • rsmdale
    Thanks Molly, my wife was a huge help in prepping the peppers.We served over 250 ABT,s it was a fun day!One of these years you need to join us for this fest.

Good Eats Good Friends

Dale
  • rsmdale
    Gary it was nice to meet you. I think I learn more at these events than all year.
    The guys there did a great job!

Good Eats And Good Friends

Dale
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I agree!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • lakemead
    lakemead Posts: 76
    dale great job on the abts and a lota work your whole fam did , shad really did pull off a great fest i hope they post some pics after a good rest
  • rsmdale
    Rick it was great visiting with you,good food and cold refreshments!

Good Eats And Good Friends

Dale
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Congrats on the PC award Dale!

I got wrapped up in what I was doing and never made the rounds to meet some of the fellow Egg Forum members - it was my first time cooking and I got a bit preoccupied. :woohoo:

Thanks for posting some pictures. I packed my little camera, and completely forgot to take any. :blink:

Oh well, GREAT weather and a fun event!

edit:

Forgot to ask - heard some people talking about somebody wrapping meat in wet/salty towels and thrown on the coals - anybody got the scoop?
    South SLO County
  • Hey guys,

I think I finally fell normal! I just now sat down jump on here. Thanks for the posts and kind words Dale.

This year was an amazing event. The temperature was 30 degrees cooler than the two years prior, and the food gets better every year. The most interesting thing done, was the bar towel BBQ. Pork loin, tri-tip and short ribs wrapped tightly in a moistened towel. The towel was lined with kosher salt before tying it down with twine. The EGG was up over 550 degrees and the towels were put directly onto the hot coals...no cooking grate in the EGG.

It was the oddest thing I have seen, although the flavor was incredible. Kudos to the BIG BOYS behind those grills, probably a combined 800 lbs between the 3 of them.

If someone can explain in easy terms how to post pictures, I wil do so tonight. Otherwise, my web guy is putting up over 400 pictures onto my website tonight. I will post a new topic with the link to that page when it is done. I will also post an EGGfest recap.

Thank you to all that came to the event, especially our forum friends. You guys are awesome!

Shad
  • Did you really have to post the picture of me in my pajama shorts?