Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

An evening as an outcast

WokOnMedium
WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was supposed to have dinner with friends this evening, but I have shingles and my Goddaughter has not yet had the chickenpox so I am shunned. Decided not to go down without a fight.
Started by boiling a couple of red taters, mashed them up, grated in two more, added sharp cheddar, ritz cracker crumbs, sour cream, an egg, pepper and some roasted garlic & beer rub from Cabela's. Made patties and fried them in 1/4 inch of oil until the outside was browned, set them aside.

Seared a wonderful little prime fillet. Not too good of a sear, but i don't have a cast iron for the mini yet, and i think i may try it right on the coals next time.
Sear-M.jpg

then I slapped a custom made (hacked up pizza stone) mini platesetter on so I could bake off my potato cakes: Potato-Cakes-M.jpg

After that I finished my steak with a roast: 2 minutes on each side, put the cakes and the steak under some foil in the micro-warmbox-wave.

Put a few veggies on tossed in oil and Raging River by Dizzy Pig
Veggies-M.jpg

Then put it all together as pretty as I could for your viewing pleasure:
Meal-M.jpg

Finished it off with a couple s'mores, but I had to do it in the rain and lightening. The need for an umbrella trumped camera use. This is from a different evening, but here's to the little guy who wishes he was one of us!
2011-04-2320-24-17569-M.jpg

Cakes were an experiment....could have used more seasoning, but not bad for guesswork!

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Sorry to hear about the shingles Staci. Hope that clears soon. Then get the shot!
    The steak looks good...that's all that came through.
    In my thoughts always!! ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • WokOnMedium
    Thanks Mol! Taking some pain meds....they seem to compromise my ability to do things I usually have no problem with, but I think I got the rest of the pics fixed.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Sorry to hear of your problem there Staci - that's NO fun! BTW what's the name of that little cutie on the chair? Is he/she yours?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WokOnMedium
    He's my favorite guy. Just a mut, but I love him, His name is Punker Dee Dop Diddle Diddle Doo, but I usually call him Punker. :laugh:

244724133_RMEQe-M.jpg
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Shingles sucked, and it can flare up decades later in odd places.

Staci, how did you "hack up" a pizza stone? I don't have a mini yet but I'm pondering...

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I b lovin some tater cakes!The rest looks fantastic too.I hear the shingles can b a bee itch.Get well soon.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Sorry to hear about the shingles. My dad had a real bad case of them. He didn't take any pain medicine because it makes him real wack-a-doo. Good food, I have 3 beef filets in the freezer but I have turkey legs marinating in the fridge for egging tomorrow. The marinade is an experiment so we'll see how it turns out.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Sorry to hear about the shingles! I am turning 60 this summer and am getting the vaccine as a birthday present (not recommended for anyone < 60).

Chickenpox is an interesting childhood disease -- you really do not want to get it as an adult and yet parents do everything they can to avoid the inveitable...?

Nice steak.
  • Sorry to hear you are an outcast. I hope you get well soon. Shingles suck big time.

At least you can entertain yourself with good egged food. I like your idea of the potato cake.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • WokOnMedium
    I got the mini pizza stones at Amazon. They come in a pair so I borrowed a rotozip ( looked like a drimmle?) Drew some ballpark lines and zipped away. After all that, i think the stones are small enough to allow the air flow needed without making the cuts.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Staci,

Ouch! I had them thirty years ago and they hurt. Nice looking food all the same.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• WokOnMedium
    Good luck with your marinade. Can't imagine singles without pain meds. There was a bit of a snafu at the docs office that l left me without meds, I called after the first 3 days I couldn't take it anymore. That doesn't mean they don't make me a wak-a-doo, just that no one calls me on it! :laugh:
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    wokonmedium wrote:
    I got the mini pizza stones at Amazon. They come in a pair so I borrowed a rotozip ( looked like a drimmle?) Drew some ballpark lines and zipped away. After all that, i think the stones are small enough to allow the air flow needed without making the cuts.
    Didn't know you could cut stone with a Rotozip, thanks!

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• WokOnMedium
    Ha! I got the damn things on my birthday..... the vaccine is a better birthday gift for sure!
  • WokOnMedium
    It isn't a normal pizza stone, was weird almost soft..... An egger will chime in with advice, don't ru in your tools on my advice! I'm not a handy lady!
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    It makes him dangerous wack-a-doo. Back in 2000 after he fell of a roof and needed 13 hrs of spinal surgery I was driving up every weekend to do his yard work. one week after he got out of rehab I found him driving the riding mower sideways along the ditch. He still had staples and one of those drainage thingies in. The "doctor" had him on oxycotin and anothe medicine "as needed" Sister the nurse practicianer read the bottles and went white. Dad immediately quite all pain medicine cold turkey, 3 days of withdrawal. Marinade is yogurt Rao's Marinara, oregano, salt and garlic.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Beautiful looking meal, thanks for sharing. I remember, a lot of years ago, reading "The General's Cookbook", about Gen
    Eisenhower's passion for cooking on charcoal in his younger life (told you he was a great president :cheer: ). One thing he loved to do was drop a huge sirloin steak directly on the coals and cook it like that. He loved to watch his guest's reaction to it. He would then rub it clean with a wire brush, slice it and serve it. An original pre-egger!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • WokOnMedium
    Oh! Not that much of a wacka doo. I just talk to myself a lot. Today is the first day I'm trying to go without. Pain isn't too bad, but I was sure grateful to already be on the Lortab when I scooped up a fingernail full of hot oil last night while cooking. I think it would have hurt much worse if I hadn't already had those on board! Double edged sword I guess....without the meds I prolly wouldn't have sustained a burn at all, but since they made me a little wooobly, I'm off my game.
  • WokOnMedium
    Its worth having another steak tonight just to try it!