Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seat of your pants cookin!!

Char-Woody
Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody out there that wants to take a recipe of choice, and start up your BGE, and do the cook without refreshing your mind with archives and posts?
Basically a scratch cook of a Boston Butt, Beef Briskett, pork or beef ribs, turkey, duck, goose, pidgeon or quail and toss away the thermometers and do it a old fashioned cooking method. By feel, taste, and timing. Might be fun. Let us know how it turns out and your on your honor!! Volunteers?
Cheers..C~W

Comments

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Char-Woody,
    Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
    ST

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Char-Woody,
    pidgeon? Did u type P-I-D-G-E-O-N?
    There is actually a recipe for those nasty things with wings?
    wow...never thoght of it..knowing all that foul they produce. Actually i should have thought of Qin' one up when i was younger as we used to knock those bastards from trees with wild apples in my younger days. Heeeeee!
    ST

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Char-Woody,[p]You're not going to sucker me into this one. I can't cook without my Polder and BBQ fork hehehe. Just wait until you sample my rubber ribs or my gorilla brisket.[p]K~G

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Char-Woody,[p]Ya threw down a challenge that I'll have to accept CW. I'm planning on a pork butt this weekend and I'll give it a whirl. Scouts honor, only the egg, meat, charcoal, and I may even rub some sticks together to start the fire. Are we limited in the spices and rubs? Should be fun.[p]Troy
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    sprinter, go for it and I bet its fun as well as a good experience. Fork twist test if fine..:-)
    I am going to get a beef roast of some type that I have never cooked. Bounce it on the floor for tenderness check, and eyeball it for marble..then cook it. Somehow, some way with out a cookbook. Just for grins.
    Take notes..we may set new trends..oooops..almost put a exclamation there...Whoooooo for now!!
    BTW..the whooooooo comes from our famous Iowa State University Basketball coach now retired. Johnny Orr!
    I borrowed it for a week..!! :-)[p]

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Char-Woody,[p]A buddy of mine just called and I have plans now for some burgers this evening with he and his wife and my better half. I'm working on a gazebo in the back yard and he's an electrician, maybe by the end of the evening he and I can get the power laid to the gazebo. If not, at least we'll be able to enjoy some egged cow. The burgers wont be that much of a "back to basics" type of deal, even though they require NOTHING, but for as simple as they are they sure are delicious.[p]You mention a beef roast, I was in the store last weekend and saw a whole beef loin in the case, $127.27, I remember the price well. Man it was purdy. Good luck with the beef roast. We'll compare notes when we're done. I may go for something a little more exotic as well, pork butts are pretty easy. This is fun. Thanks for the idear CW.[p]The wifes ENTIRE family and relatives all go to Iowa, IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WWWWWWUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHH. I'm an Illini myself after a 2 year stint at the USNA in Annapolis, big rivalry every year at the Illini/Iowa games. No cool whoooooooo's or anything like that for us Illini but we do have a really cool? Indian (native american for the politically correct contingent) as a mascot. Man, college was fun, and I thought life was so tough back then......... But I digress, on to the Q.[p]Troy