Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pork chops

Options
pokey
pokey Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
have some chops about 1/2" thick, anyone have some suggestions?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Put on your favorite rub and cook direct minute and half or so per side 375-425. Does it for me.
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Options
    I just used shake and bake, indirect about 400 until done. Add some apple wood for smoke flavor. They came out better than anytime I have done it in the oven.
  • JDubOK
    JDubOK Posts: 6
    Options
    IMG_0023.jpg
    I tried adding a little apple wood smoke to my grilled pork chops. I picked up these wood pellets last week and used them on some smoked chickens. They worked really well. You just make a little pouch out of aluminum foil and throw in a hand full. You then seal it up and poke a hole in it for the smoke to vent.

IMG_0025.jpg
    The foil package with the wood pellets in it resting directly over the coals. I put on some olive oil and rubbed in some garlic salt and lemon pepper (that's sort of my default for grilling pork chops or chicken breast).

IMG_0027.jpg
    300 degrees for 25-30 minutes, turned once. The smoke was going the entire time. I'm also testing out my new replacement gaskets for the first time. That's why their so white. They're the Nomex gasket with the high temp self adhesive backing from High-Que.

IMG_0029.jpg
    They look great, but I think I used too much of the pellets. The smoke was a little over-powering. If I cut the smoke back some I think I'll have a winner.
  • Rauchbier
    Rauchbier Posts: 24
    Options
    Those chops look delicious! What did you do to the meat?
  • JDubOK
    JDubOK Posts: 6
    Options
    I pulled them out of the supermarket shrinkwrap, coated them with olive oil, applied a generous dusting of garlic salt and lemon pepper seasoning and through them on the grill. I cooked them at 300 degrees for about 25-30min. I had some apple wood pellets smoking underneath them. Actually had too much smoke. The taste was a little overwelming but they sure looked good. I'll back off on the amount of smoke next time.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Hot and Quick.DO NOT let the IT get over 140 before pulling.You can sear then roast but not on thin chops like that.Cook em like a steak.