Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

when to hook up digi q???

Options
wmd36
wmd36 Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am curious as to how folks here use there digi Q. I lit the fire tonight and let it go about 10 minutes, then put on the digi. Seemed to take a while to get to 350 , where i was cooking my chicken. any suggestions here??

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I feel you get better control if you wait until the dome temp is within roughly 50° of your desired temp..lessens the chance of creating a blast furnace and overshooting your setpoint..
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have never even considered using it for anything above a 250° lo n slo cook. Most cooks at 350° or higher are relatively quick, an hour or so. You certainly don't need a DigiQ for that.

If I'm going overnight for hours on end, then yeah. But for chicken, steak, burgers, chops, pork tenderloin, pork roast, etc.... don't bother.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I only use mine for overnighters and super low temp beef jerky cooks.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    Greetings,
    This will pobably ruffle a few feathers BUT, I use mine all the time unless I am doing a cook over 450. Using it for only Lo-n-slo cooks to me is like saying you only use the cruise control on your car for long trips... Like Ron Popel says "set it, and forget it."

And yes I have been eggin for over 10 years and have three.So to each his own.
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    No ruffled feathers here. I started cooking in Sep and started with the Stoker - used it for everything under 400°F.

Then I figured out that getting the temp up to where it needs to be for a short cook and keeping it there was easier than setting up the Stoker.

So, I use my Stoker now for the long cooks - anything over about 4 hours (though a couple of weeks ago I did ribs without the net).

There are so many "right" ways of doing things there's just no cause for heated emotions. Life is just too short. That's my story and I'm sticking to it .... at least for now.

BTW - I don't use the cruise control for trips under a couple of hours either. :)