Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken soup for a very sick friend

2Fategghead
2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks for responding. I have a lawn mowing customer who wife has recently gone through a full hysterectomy that was cancerous. She and her husband has become very dear to me and Cindy. Not two years ago she had breast cancer and had both removed and went through chemo and now she will need chemo again. Her and her husband both suffer from rheumatoid arthritis so they are limited as to what they can do with out other ailments.

Prayers would be great for Jim and Margaret Chaffin Lafayette, Tennessee

Cindy asked if there was anything she could do and she requested home made chicken soup. I need a recipe please.

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Tim,
    I don't have a chicken soup recipe, but being southerners, if you want a dynamite chicken and dumplin's recipe, let me know.

Gary

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    i've made 100's of gallons of chicken soup over the years.. will walk you thru it phone is easier 2153625089
  • 2Fategghead
    I am being called to supper I'll give you a call in a few min's bill. Tim
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Tim,

I don't use recipes for chicken soup but I watched this the other day. I use the double stock method like this. I would leave out any hot spices if your friend is on chemo.

http://how2heroes.com/videos/soups-sauces/spicy-chicken-rice-flu-chaser-soup

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    It would be good if you could make your own stock. That takes lots of bones, and some chopped up meat. And diced onions, carrots and celery. And either a pressure cooker, or several hours of simmering. It is not too hard to make really good stock, but I suspect you would like to make the soup a little faster.

Most of the store bought broths have lots of salt. Look for the ones with the least. Fancy "organic" broths usually are a little better.

Find some good egg noodles.

Dice up cooked chicken, celery, and maybe a little parsnip (its sweet, so just a bit), shred some carrots, and have some minced flat leaf parsley.

Sauté some chopped onion in butter. Go just far enough that the onion becomes translucent. Pour in the broth, and when simmering, put in the noodles and carrots. They will suck up much of the fluid, so have extra broth or water on hand.

When the noodles are about 2/3 soft, add the other vegetables.

When the noodles are good and soft, taste. Add salt, and a little pepper. If the chicken and the butter from the sautee make the soup a little greasy, add a splash of lemon juice.

The fresh ingredients will easily make a soup far better than anything at the market.

Good cooking to you.
  • 2Fategghead
    Gary I would love to try it. My Grandmother use to make it years ago. :)
  • 2Fategghead
    Nice talking to you bill. I will get to work tomorrow. I think I can't go wrong with your instructions. ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Steven bill gave me verbal instructions and your video helps as well. ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks so much gdenby. I got instructions from bill and you as well. All will help. ;)
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Village Idiot wrote:
    Tim,
    I don't have a chicken soup recipe, but being southerners, if you want a dynamite chicken and dumplin's recipe, let me know.

Gary
    I had Chicken & Dumplin' soup in South Carolina, probably the best soup I've ever had. :drool:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• 2Fategghead
    I just got off the phone with Margaret our patient. She still wants plain chicken noodle soup. I got my instructions from you all so tomorrow I will make a batch of chicken soup. ;)

Thanks everyone. :)

I will add she said she will start chemo soon and she already has the port in. Her husband Jim tells me she is coming along very well and they feel very blessed by all the support and prayers. She has two sons one in Arizona and the other who got to see her before he went to Iraq.
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks so much Richard. ;)
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Sorry, I have no recipe, bless you for what you do. Prayers go out also.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Our best wishes and prayers for the Chaffin family. Chicken soup sounds like a real nice meal. You might want to make some of those potato rolls to go along with it.

Kent
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    my prayers go out to your friends.... this winter.... was the first time in my life that i have been really ill.....i can relate.... you're a good man to have taken them under your wing and care for them!......rr
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    My prayers and thoughts go out to the affected couple and you and Cindy.If they are friends of yours they are my friends too.God Bless all involved and praying for a speedy recovery.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Looks like you have plenty of capable help in the Chicken Soup department. But add me to the list of prayer warriors....
  • Tim, my friend that was having Chemo really liked the Cheddar cheese soup with broccoli that I made for her, and I brought it to a 2nd friend going through it now. Chemo is a process, so after the chicken soup you make, you might suggest the soup I made. It's has alot of good healthy stuff in it, and your friend might find it comforting.

Bless you and Cindy for caring for your friend in this way.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • 2Fategghead
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Kent that's a great idea. ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Ray I'll pray for your health. Tim
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Hoss they are in my life now and I feel compassion for them. We are all blessed.
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Brad. I spoke to Margaret not long ago I feel she is spirited and wants to beat this cancer.
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Faith I'll see if I can do that for her as well.
  • wkygriller
    wkygriller Posts: 408
    Tim,
    Sounds like you have the soup recipe under control, so count on prayers coming from here.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Sorry to hear it 2fat.
    I'll tell you that anything you make will be appreciated, don't worry about making it perfect
    [edited : damn iPhone!]
    I might suggest one thing. Make the soup without the chicken, following whatever recipe you decide on. Add the chicken at the very end, precooked from a skinless spatchocked chicken. It'll have a touch of smoke, and it'll be fantastic

If you cook a whole spatchcock, you'll have more than enough chicken. Make a pot pie, with a piece of puff pastry over the top, dont cook it, and freeze it. They can reheat at 350 til bubblin

chix_pot_pie.jpg

Sorry about your friends.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Richard
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Will pray for you and your friends - C is a terrible thing. Chicken soup is my "go to" comfort food. When I'm feeling yuck, I keep it simple - usually chicken, broth and rice or noodles. I always use breast or thigh and simmer it in broth until it is very tender - then add rice/noodles. Seasonings can be tricky depending on ones taste - I use onion and garlic powder, celery salt, pepper. I use my own broth for the most part, and only use un-salted broth if I must add some. When the appetite is not so iffy, I jazz it up with veggies like carrots, celery, and onion - this past weekend I made some with a wild rice medley. I'm sure whateve recipe you use will turn out well - it's made with love and thoughtfulness! God bless you. :)
  • 2Fategghead
    Great idea Jeff. Thanks