Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic tiles keep cracking... any suggetions?

Options
pmnhsn5
pmnhsn5 Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have my egg resting on the feet on top of a ceramic tile. I do get my egg up to 600 or so to sear steaks and such. I have also used granite, about 1/2 inch, but didn't use the legs with it, it also cracked. I am trying not to raise my egg up much more it is already sitting pretty high.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    2" thick cement stepping stones available from any big box store like orange or blue.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Use the concrete paving stone and ditch the feet. That should keep you about where you are now on height.

The feet were designed to use the EGG on the ground (patio), not for using in tables. I imagine it won't be long before the feet go into limited production and are just sold as an accessory.
  • smokeystover
    Options
    I went to a local fireplace store and bought eight firebricks (cheap). Put them on the shelf of my table, then put the Egg on three feet on top of the firebricks. Eight firebricks are plenty to more than cover the area the Large Egg sits on, and this is exactly what they are best for. They are specifically designed to absorb as much heat as you can throw at them.
  • RRP
    Options
    hmmmm, that's interesting...this another cost saving cut by the new brainy boy? Will we soon be seeing short curved legs with furniture style ball casters on them like he made the new logo look like?
  • pmnhsn5
    pmnhsn5 Posts: 21
    Options
    Ok, those bricks on feet will raise my egg up a lot higher then I would like for my current table. I will check my fireplace store to see if they have other options. Thanks
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    You don't say what is under the tile, so I'm going to assume you have a table made of wood. If so, you really need both the ceramic feet and something like one of the concrete pavers that has already been mentioned. There are others on the forum that have experienced their tables having scorch marks, and even had the wood burn through the table, when only the pavers were used. Ceramic tile is much thinner, and won't give you nearly the level of thermal insulation you need between your egg and table.

Yes, that's going to make your egg sit up higher. Your two options are then to either lower the entire shelf that the egg is sitting on, or figure out a way to inset the paver into the lower shelf's framing.

A picture of your current setup may make it easier for others to offer suggestions.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    well, absorb without breaking. they still get hot, as hot as another type of brick in the same place
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    bobbyq was a long time employee of bge, listen to him ;) if you go the firebrick route, buy splits, about 3/4 inch thick, i still like a space, three quarters under the egg will work, use the feet for something else ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    You never mention what size egg you have. Find it hard to believe they crack due to heat since the egg is so well insulated at those point. Hope you don't have an XL sitting on them because they are not to be used with and XL.
  • Dnorman
    Dnorman Posts: 117
    Options
    As it is now we don't even sell the feet any more. they come with the eggs and that is it.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    You should mount these tiles of yours to a concrete type 'tile backer' board and then put you feet back on and try that. Betcha it works. ;)

Get the tile thinset from an actual tile supply dealer and tell them that you need one that has a 'flex' to it. It's made for large porcelain(and others I'm sure) tiles that need to flex. Should only raise your current setup 3/4 of an inch or so.
  • RRP
    Options
    isn't it also a matter of the type of tile? I mean you can put floor tile on a wall, but you can't put wall tile on a floor.
  • stike
    Options
    you can certainly put wall tile on a floor. though if it's glazed, you'll have a problem walking :laugh: it may also wear differently, but installed properly, how does the tile know if it is on a wall or floor? :)

thickness and mass is what we are after here, gentlemen.

that, or we can run in the other direction and use shuttle tiles, which are all about insulation.

barring the use of shuttle tiles (some used ones may be coming on the market soon), i'd go with something an inch and a half thick or so at least, feet would be a bonus
  • RRP
    Options
    I was just echoing what the owner of the tile store told us a couple years ago when we were selecting tile for our remodeling.
  • Ripnem
    Options
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Gotta watch those salesmen. :ermm:
  • stike
    Options
    He was selling tile!
    :laugh:
    To some extent it's true. On the other hand, it isn't true
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    Firebrick is the only thing ( other than BGE feet) that belong there IMO.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle