Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

T-Rex Question

Options
Retired RailRoader
Retired RailRoader Posts: 975
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am about to try my first T-Rex tonight. My son is home from college and he loves steak. I understand the part the I sear the steaks at 700 deg. and then alow them to sit for 20 min. My question is will my large egg drop 300 deg. in the 20 min. so that I can finish cooking them at the posted 400 deg. mark.[p]Thanks
Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.

Comments

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,[p]just close the dampers down and it will cool down to 400 in about the twenty minutes. now here is where you need to burp that egg. If you are using fresh lump that big gulp of o2 will start that fire right back up and take all the arm hair and nose, ear head hair for that matter if you aren't careful.[p]Scott

• Retired RailRoader, Your egg will drop down to 400 degrees during the 20 minute wait if you pinch the dampers way down.
    In the end you'll be eatin some nice charred on the outside and juicy in the middle steaks like these, Peace...[p]BeefTenderloinSteakSear.jpg

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    After the 20 minute dwell time, it is imperative that you open top and bottom vents for at least 30 seconds prior to opening that dome... and the fresher the lump, the more important this is. Then just crack the dome a bit to see how it is going to react. Flashback happens on a regular basis at my house, no bragging about that one! [p]I find the TRex method works quite well. The forum in general has adopted the TRex method as the tried and true method of cooking steaks. I get similar results with just closing both vents and allowing the temp to drop with the meat still in the egg. There is a lot less room for error (steaks on the deck) and it's faster. [p]I sear the first side with the high heat, flip the meat, and then totally shut down both vents and allow to cool with the meat in the egg. The temp drops pretty fast because the meat is still in the egg absorbing heat. The second side is seared because the coals are still very hot.[p]When the temp drops I start opening up and working the meat by moving, flipping and stacking, and feeling how well done the steaks are getting. I manage the temp (while flipping and rotating the stack) so it slo cooks the steaks without burning them up. [p]Steak thickness determines the time and temps involved. If they are thin, you have to be careful because they cook fast. A little less heat helps. Thick steaks are easier to cook, because they are a bit more forgiving.[p]For me, I can't just put steaks (or chops) in and let them cook at a preset temp for X minutes. I feel the need to work them until they are done just right. Some meats are just fine if you put it in, set a temp, and go the prescribed time.... Pulled pork, roasts, brisket.[p]No matter what method you use, make sure the meat sits for 5-10 minutes before you dig in.[p]Mike in MN

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    i also do trex all the time. . .whatever cut you use (rib eye, sirloin, tenderloin), make sure they are at least 1 1/2 inches thick. ...i prefer to go 2 inches thick...[p]when searing, make sure your egg is really hot inside, don't just wait for the flames to make the dial hit 700, make sure your lump looks like a whole bed of lava. .. as far as i'm concerned the hotter the better (i like to have the needle on the temp guage pointed straight down, so i'm searing around 900 degrees or better. . . .don't worry, the egg will still be 400 in 20 minutes ... .[p]and like mike said, be very careful openeing the lid, you WILL get a back flash if you're not careful

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    eggor and everybody,
    Thanks for all the information. This is why I bought my egg in the first place. The forum and its people are the best!!![p]

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.