Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

why is back the hottest

Options
skihorn
skihorn Posts: 600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have always read (and have experienced) that the backside of the Egg produces more heat. Why is that? It seems counterintuitive. I would have thought the front near the vent would be hotter. I am not questioning this fact, just trying to understand.

Does the fire start method affect it? Should I put the starter cubes (I use napkins and veg oil) near the front to even out when I want it more even. Should I put starters near back when I want the back to be hotter and put bigger pieces of meat in back and smaller in front? For when I want more heat in the back I guess I could rotate the plate setter away from its normal position of protecting the back.

Freddie
League City, TX

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I'm no expert but I would think it has to do with the fact that when the air enters the bottom vent it is cooler and when it cycles through the egg (get's to the back) it becomes hot. The air coming into the vent is always cooler then the air at the back which is insulated by the gasket.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • skihorn
    Options
    That does make sense.

Freddie
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Options
    I've never read that the back was hotter. In fact, I've never read anything about hot spots in an egg.

:unsure:

Who's theory is this?

;)

Ted
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    For sure the back is hotter...At least in my Egg.
    I think the air flow pattern has something to do with it, as it seems to be no different with or with out a good gasket. Mine fried about a year ago.
    However....If we have air flow coming through the draft in the front, it would seem to me that the back of the Egg would get the biggest "up-draft". or heat of the hottest fire (boost to the fire) because of the natural air flow. It looks like a simple physics thing to me.
    I do get more heat on the back side,when doing a hot fire.then I do with a lower fire, so in my mind this stands to reason
  • skihorn
    Options
    "Hot spot" may be pushing it as that implies there is a big difference. It is just apparently when cooking indirect the back will get a little hotter. Not a big difference. But, that is why it is recommended to place the pate setter with one leg at the 12:00 position to block where the heat would be greatest.

Freddie