Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking about a Benefit Cook

Turk
Turk Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I lost a 6 year old grandson in March to cancer. I just came from the local American Cancer Society Relay For Life event here in central Indiana. I am thinking about offering to set up the LBGE at next years event, with the proceeds going to the Society. The event is a 24 hour event and the food would be served over a period of at least 16 hours. What would be the best to cook. Multiple butts, brisket, wings, burgers, dogs, chicken, turkey? Knowing the Egg (Smell and Appearance) is going to attract a lot of business may create a problem keeping up with demand. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Do finger food type stuff that you can turn over quickly.JMO.VERRY sorry to hear of your loss. :( Prayers for you and all the others affected by such a tragedy.God Bless you and yours.
  • Turk
    Thanks Hoss. Wings come to mind. Any other finger food that you can think of? You have been around a lot longer than I have.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Turk,

You don't want to do long cooks for something like this. Truly sorry about your grandson. Things like souvlaki, shish kabobs, sate and kafte show off the egg and also are quick cooks.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sorry for your loss...lost a close friend to lung cancer last fall...I'm a newbee so don't have any signficant suggestions

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• Turk
    Thanks Gentlemen.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    All the things Steven mentioned and moink balls,ABT dip(way easier than ABT's for a crowd),shrimp,scallops,bacon wrapped watermelon rind pickles,pigs in a blanket,bacon wrapped chicken livers,the list is endless. :)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Turk,

This is a bit of up front work but really easy to do at the cook. Always goes over well.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=557

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Turk, first off, I'm very sorry for your loss.

One thing you will have to think carefully about is maintaining food safety over a 16 hour period, that becomes difficult off site. I am sure some of the vendors can chime in about refrigeration and wash station ideas.

If it was me, I would keep it simple, only 1-2 items and something that has quick turn around. Burgers or maybe kabobs since you can prep them ahead of time.

Best of luck to you and I'm sure a few local Eggheads would be willing to help out.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Turk,

I love that you have taken the path of trying to figure out how to help from the middle such a deep personal loss.....just continues to show me the heart of a true egghead. Of course, I hate cancer, and am deeply sorry that you had to go through the loss of your grandson to get to this point.

All the advice has been great, and I just want to "second" the encouragement for you to use the forum to find other like-minded eggheads from your area to help and keep up with the demand. You never know where it may lead. Some friends and I did a crawfish boil benefit for a decade that raised tens of thousands of dollars for cancer research after losing my college roommate and another friend's young son to brain tumors. The annual event became a fun and constructive way for us to channel our grief, and fondly remember how these young men help shape our lives, not to mention help fund critical research.

Heck, if I can figure out how to get to your part of the world at that time, I'd love to help!
  • poolguy
    poolguy Posts: 129
    Sorry about your loss.
    Check with your health dept about the permits you would need to buy. Hate to see you go all out and then get shut down by health dept for not having the permits. every state and county is different. find some local eggers to help out

Good Luck
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    though he could probably do a bunch of slabs of ribs in advance, and sauce them, reheating to finish on the egg.

very sorry to hear of your loss, turk.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Tweety
    Tweety Posts: 455
    Pre cook ribs is a great idea. You could do the same with pulled pork which would feed a lot of people. Cook it before the event, put it in foil pans, then you can add sauce and re-heat the day of the event. Lay out some tortillas and they can make pulled pork tacos.

God bless you and your family going through this difficult time. You will be blessed for doing something to take care of others suffering with this terrible disease.

Please post pictures on here after the event and let us know how it goes!
  • Turk
    Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and ideas. The people on this forum are the best. I have until next May to put this together and I am definitely going to try. Thanks again.