Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

purchasing new egg

woody's wood pit
woody's wood pit Posts: 237
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i am going to buy an egg...should I get the extra large or just large...

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

Comments

• Large, plenty big enough
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Hey Woody, that is the eternal question around here! if you will enter large into the search engine, you will get dozens of threads with good discussion on the subject. My personal thoughts are a large is very capable of cooking for an average family, with the money difference you can add a small or medium and have the versatility of two eggs.
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    A lot of people here will say get a Large. Personally, I have an XL and the reason is I like having space to cook. It all depends on how many people you will be cooking for and when you entertain, you might need the extra space to cook the extra racks of ribs, steaks, chicken, etc. You will eventually might want to get another EGG as well later on.

Either one will do the same, it cooks !

Enjoy the journey.

Gary
  • Lei'd-n-Egg
    Lei'd-n-Egg Posts: 289
    Can't go wrong either way. Large has more accessories and a lot more owners, so you're going to get a ton-o-folks voting for the Large.

Just pick one and start smokin.

Good Luck,
    Bryan
  • Rafter R
    Rafter R Posts: 120
    I like the large and augment with a small or medium idea. If you have a large group of folks to cook for fire them both up and then you can cook at multiple temps and have more variety. If you want to do a smaller batch then you do not have to heat up the "extra" space.

When I can swing the funds that is my game plan. I have had a couple of times I wanted to do something small b/c wife and kids were not eating w/ me and a smaller unit would have been more efficient.

my 2 cents...but you'll only give a penny for my thoughts ...so you see how overrated I think of my opinion!! :lol:
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    One way or the other, you're gonna love eggin.
  • I just went thru the same debate and have the large; we usually cook for 4-6 people and no problems.
    XL would have been too large for me. SO far cooked lots on it and XL would have been a waste.
    Go to a dealer and check it out; the 18.25 diameter grill is good; you can stack too with accessories.
    Good luck! ;)
  • Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    At a contest I get this question often. I ask how many they are cooking for and if they answer 2 to 4 I say get a large. I also suggest instead of getting an XL put the diffence in cost toward another small,medium, or large so you can cook for more or at different temps. We carry an Xl and four larges to cook a contest, We use the XL to cook ribs on. we use a large at home and lately have begun using the small for just two of us. The small also likes to go camping, tailgating, and the etc. Any way you go you gonna be Happy.

Poppasam
    Jus Fer Fun Cooking Crew
    Cancer---HELP KICK IT'S BUTT!!!
  • made the plunge...took my wife along...studied hard and long over lg vs xl...she said get the large she didn't want to hear about it later...then she bought all kinds of accessories...

Hope i get to use the thing...by the way spent all day putting it together bands kept shifting when I tried to adjust it...finally got it..

burn in tomorrow and then the first cook!?!!!

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

• By the way...thanks for all the advise... I was leaning toward the large and someday a small but got out voted one to one again by the big boss....

• just crusing through the forum and discovered i will need to watch the video tomorrow to see what i did wrong...

...it is true...men only read the directions only after they finish the project...