Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza!

Options
Quadzilla
Quadzilla Posts: 40
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was inspired by Zippylip's post to start making quality pizzas. Here is that post - http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=987401&catid=1#

My new setup is from bottom up is cast iron grate, raised grid, 15" Coerderite kiln shelf, 4"x2"x2" legs on sides to create a 2" gap, 14" BGE ceramic stone. I cooked these at a dome temp of 650* for approx 5 minutes. I have made numerous adjustments to his recipe but, his is much easier and very effective.

Thanks for looking!

IMAG0371.jpg

IMAG0374.jpg

IMAG0376.jpg

Comments

• Rafter R
    Rafter R Posts: 120
    Options
    Quadzilla:

That looks mighty fine to me! I have still struggled to get the pizzas results I would like. I need a to get to a fest to get some quality training.
  • Quadzilla
    Options
    Pizza is challenging. I have had a ton of trail and error and still feel like I can improve a lot. Zippylip's recipe is the best place to start and is very detailed.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks great. I need to give his recipe a try. I've got it bookmarked.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• jkohn
    jkohn Posts: 3
    Options
    Nice! Impressive char on the top, I haven't been able to get that yet on my cooks. I've been watching your thread over at the pizza-making forum with interest (haven't done an intro post there, so I just lurk).

I too originally tried the plate-setter setup and came away disappointed, I think it just restricts airflow too much to hit the temps I need for my dough. I've also been experimenting with getting the pizza stone up higher into the dome; I have a grill-dome so my setup is slightly different than yours, I'm using their "double-decker" rack with the ceramic feet under it.

So far I've had the best luck with a stone temp of about 625-650 and a dome temp of 700-725, which resulted in a cook time of about 3.5 minutes. If I wait for the stone to heat up all the way to dome temp,I have trouble with the bottom cooking faster than the top.
  • Quadzilla
    Options
    Thanks for the info jkohn. I hope to start experimenting with higher temps soon.

Post pics if you can!
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    jkohn wrote:
    I too originally tried the plate-setter setup and came away disappointed, I think it just restricts airflow too much to hit the temps I need for my dough.

John, there is likely some other reason you're not getting where you want to be. While the plate setter might restrict the direction of the airflow (& direct heat) which it what it's supposed to do, it does not ultimately hamper the cooking environment you're trying to create for pizza in a ceramic cooker. Are you allowing sufficient pre-heat time after you've hit your desired temperature (about 30 minutes)?
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    Pizza looks delicious... nice job.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • dugdbug
    dugdbug Posts: 244
    Options
    Great Job!!

And all the green in the photo's is creating an awesome effect in the pics! :cheer:
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    jkohn:

Whal pizza-making forum are you referring to? Please post a link.
    Judy in San Diego