Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Probe cable length

Options
Kailas
Kailas Posts: 146
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For those of you that have either a Stoker or DigiQ, what is the recommended probe cable length? Is 6' long enough? I can't imagine why it wouldn't, myself. But then I haven't considered all scenarios.

Comments

• davehemp
    davehemp Posts: 109
    Options
    I guess it all depends on how close you can put the control unit to your Egg, but I have the 8 ft. and need every inch of it...I feed the probe wires through the daisy wheel and you'd be surprised how much "slack" you'll need if you do it this way...(I don't run them across the gasket)
  • EggerFromIowa
    EggerFromIowa Posts: 181
    Options
    I would say it depends on your setup.

I have a 6' and run across the felt(rotlund). I also have egg side tables, so I can have the digiQ on one, and my pans, meat etc on the other.
  • Kailas
    Options
    EggerFromIowa wrote:
    I would say it depends on your setup.

I have a 6' and run across the felt(rotlund). I also have egg side tables, so I can have the digiQ on one, and my pans, meat etc on the other.

This brings up another question.

Pros and Cons of running probe cables across felt gasket?
  • EggerFromIowa
    EggerFromIowa Posts: 181
    Options
    I haven't had any issues. But I'm usually sleeping or doing something else, so I don't see much smoke escape. :laugh:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    The power cord that connects the blower to the control unit on the DigiQ 2 is not even 6' long. Not realizing that, I ordered 8' probes. If the controller can be only 6' away from the bottom vent, what am I gonna do with an 8' probe? On top of that, one of the probe packages was mislabeled as an 8 footer, but in fact, it's 10' long. I have a bunch of extra cable flappin' in the breeze.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Kailas
    Options
    Carolina Q wrote:
    The power cord that connects the blower to the control unit on the DigiQ 2 is not even 6' long. Not realizing that, I ordered 8' probes. If the controller can be only 6' away from the bottom vent, what am I gonna do with an 8' probe? On top of that, one of the probe packages was mislabeled as an 8 footer, but in fact, it's 10' long. I have a bunch of extra cable flappin' in the breeze.

that's good to know. Are longer lengths available for the blower connection as well?

I'm going to make a waterproof enclosure for the unit. I purchased a smaller plastic bin with a locking lid. I also got some 2" PVC fittings and a 45 degree bend. So I will be able to get the wires into and out of the bin to keep things dry.

Already got a 6" vent cap from Lowes. I believe I can handle cooking in the rain now. In Michigan the thing you can count on is to not count on good weather.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    It appears that they have an available 6' extension cord for $12. I didn't know that.

http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/Blower-Extension-Cord---.html

Still, if I had it to do again, I would get the standard 6' probes. Plenty long enough for my arrangement.

Actually, if I had it to do again, I just wouldn't buy one at all. Works fine, I just don't use it much. Plus the egg does a fine job without outside help.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Kailas
    Options
    Carolina Q wrote:
    It appears that they have an available 6' extension cord for $12. I didn't know that.

http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/Blower-Extension-Cord---.html

Still, if I had it to do again, I would get the standard 6' probes. Plenty long enough for my arrangement.

Actually, if I had it to do again, I just wouldn't buy one at all. Works fine, I just don't use it much. Plus the egg does a fine job without outside help.

Which unit do you have? Perhaps it's for sale?
  • ebertsj
    ebertsj Posts: 7
    Options
    Kailas wrote:
    In Michigan the thing you can count on is to not count on good weather.[/quote]

Or a good football team! Go Bucks!
    Sorry, couldn't resist.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    sorry Dave, but I really have to ask why you would put your wires down through your Daisy. The potentially HOT rip roaring heat going out of the top COULD be like a blast furnace! Couple that with a mis-judgement of how much cable length to leave inside vs outside and EXCUSE me I'm already getting a headache! Why not just lay your cable wires down and close the dome!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.