Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ DX - Still the right choice?

Aledo Green Dreggon
Aledo Green Dreggon Posts: 134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi again, It has been a long time since I have come around. It is going on my 3rd year with my egg and I would really like to step up to a blower system. I have had my eye on the DigiQ for 3 years now but wanted to check if there were any usurpers to the throne. I am very price conscious.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

The q2 is still a great choice as is the Stoker and now there are a couple of other choices.

There are some low cost units and both the Stoker & q2 are about the same price with a basic setup. The q2 does and excellent job for 1 meat and one pit measuring and controlling.

The Stoker can be expanded to monitor/control meats and eggs along with plotting a cook and heat in the egg and meats. The Stoker can also be monitored by any device that has a browser capibility from anywhere. The software can also 'tweet' and email.

Below is previous discussion that may be of help there will also be some links to the various units.

GG

==================
    Ton's of info on this can be found by doing a search.

I have and use both the Stoker and DigiQ (q2). Both are great. If you are "only" going to monitor 1 meat and the pit it really doesn't matter which unit you get.

If you take the time to read the manual on the Stoker it is as simple 2 use as the DigiQ (q2). If you are doing a second cook the same as the first, nothing needs to be changed on either unit. If you need a higher temperature on the pit and or a different meat temperature you need to push some buttons on either unit to get the new settings. Nothing harder than that.

Beyond that, for me, the Stoker is a better choice. I can control multiple eggs and monitor multiple foods on almost any number of eggs at the same time. I can control all those items remotely on any device that has internet connectivity. The stoker can email and tweet the information if desired.

If I have a temperature or pit probe go out for one reason or another on the Stoker I simply assign a different probe food or pit to control the blower. Ont he q2 you need to have a probe on hand or buy a new probe and wait for delivery.

Service is great from both companies. It seems a phone call works best with the Stoker folks.

Labor day I cooked brisket on the large egg using the Stoker and 2 Boston Butts on the medium using the q2. Obviously the q2 could only monitor 1 of the Boston butts. I then added 3 extra probes to the Stoker when went over to the medium egg and monitored the q2 cook. 1 probe for the pit and 1 probe each in the 2 Boston Butts.

I then went into the computer and pulled up the Stokler program and monitored both cooks on the same screen. I could change any control settings on the stoker (the large egg) and monitor all probes with alarms on both eggs. The Stoker could not change the settings on the q2 obviously but it could monitor. My son turned on his Iphone and was also watching and could control the settings if needed. It turned out that I needed to bump the temperature on the brisket and that was done from my sons Iphone.

If you think you will need to expand at some point in time and/or like techie stuff get the Stoker.

I bought the q2 and then decided I wanted to play around with the temperatures via computer and ended up buying the Stoker. I haven't sold either one as of yet. For my use if I got rid of one of the controllers it would be the DigiQ.

If you end up deciding you want the DigiQ then take a look at the Auberins controller. I have heard from several forum members who really like it. The overall cost was about $120. www.auberins.com
    Another Low cost controller is the iQue 110 again recommended by forum members. http://www.pitmasteriq.com/

Hope this sheds a little more light with your search.

GG
  • Thank you and WOW. That stoker is pretty amazing. I have an android and would really like the remote functionality. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I have some reading to do now!
  • Grandpas Grub

If you are at all interested in remote control the stoker is a great unit to get.

I have both the q2 and Stoker and both are great units, work well and are accurate. I like to monitor multiple cuts of meat and once in a while control 2 different eggs, for me the Stoker is the solution.

GG
  • What is your opinion for fan size? I have a large egg and stoker recommends 5cfm. I recall in the past people tended to prefer the 10cfm pit viper with the DigiQ(at least that is the way I remember it). So is the 10 really too much and the 4 more appropriate?
  • Grandpas Grub

On the q2 I bought the Viper (10cfm) as recommended by Fred. I later bought the Stoker and again purchased the 10 cfm.

On the q2 I have to close down the slider to about 1/3 to 1/4, the reason being is the free air passing through the blower seems to cause an overshoot of temperature in the egg.

On the other hand the Stoker has a 'flap door' that closes when the blower goes idle. So the Stoker blows a full 10 cfm into the lump bed and the q2 is, I am guessing, something like 2 to 3 cfm when it is active and then there is the free air passing through due to the draw created by the lump.

The 10 cfm is not too big but I have always wondered if I should have gotten the 5 cfm on both units. I don't think it will which you purchase the 10 or 5 will have enough volume. If I buy another blower I will pick up the 5 cfm only because I am curious.

I would guess the 5 cfm would be enough for the XL egg also.

Hopefully someone using 5 cfm blowers will jump in and comment.

I seem to have a tendency towards the 'bigger is better' approach to most everything - (not sure if that is always the right choice).

GG
  • Kailas
    Kailas Posts: 146
    Grandpas Grub wrote:

On the q2 I bought the Viper (10cfm) as recommended by Fred. I later bought the Stoker and again purchased the 10 cfm.

On the q2 I have to close down the slider to about 1/3 to 1/4, the reason being is the free air passing through the blower seems to cause an overshoot of temperature in the egg.

On the other hand the Stoker has a 'flap door' that closes when the blower goes idle. So the Stoker blows a full 10 cfm into the lump bed and the q2 is, I am guessing, something like 2 to 3 cfm when it is active and then there is the free air passing through due to the draw created by the lump.

The 10 cfm is not too big but I have always wondered if I should have gotten the 5 cfm on both units. I don't think it will which you purchase the 10 or 5 will have enough volume. If I buy another blower I will pick up the 5 cfm only because I am curious.

I seem to have a tendency towards the 'bigger is better' approach to most everything - (not sure if that is always the right choice).

GG

From everything I've read, since the 10cfm is only like $15 more, they recommend it.
  • Grandpas Grub

Yes, the 10cfm was recommended to me also, nevertheless, on the DigiQ I am always cutting off the flow down to 1/4 - 1/3 of full flow.

On the Stoker the flow is the full 10cfm.

The bigger issue for me was the continual overshooting of the pit temperature on the DigiQ. Closing down the slider on the q2 blower resolved the overshooting of temperature.

GG
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Grandpas Grub wrote:

GG

I talked to Kenny in great lengths about the 10 vs the 5 for my large. He assured me that the 5 was all you'd need for a large. The XL gets the 10.

That said, I haven't used mine yet, it's still in the box. I just picked it up 4 days ago (Friday) at the Morgan Hill BBQ competition. I ordered it Wednesday and Kenny offered to bring it out to the competition. Being that I'm local, I went down and met Kenny and the gang. Really a nice bunch of folks. I was impressed with their hospitality.

Can't go wrong with the Stoker.
  • I am not familiar with the names.

Kenny = Stoker
    Fred = DigiQ

Is that correct?
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    I have the 5cfm with the stoker and don't have any problems on my large.
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Aledo Green Dreggon wrote:
    I am not familiar with the names.

Kenny = Stoker
    Fred = DigiQ

Is that correct?

Kenny is who I dealt with on the Stoker, so yes. I think there is another person at "Rocks bbq" who managed the technical development of the Stoker.

I'm not sure who's the defacto DigiQ person, but Fred sounds right.
  • Grandpas Grub

Correct...

I talked with Fred Sr. back when the DigiQII was first released.

At Stoker Kenny have been extremely helpful when I have talked with him. Fred Jr. was also very helpful when I had some problems with the q2.

Both companies are great to work with. With Stoker I always use the phone.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub

Hello Aaron, thanks for the input.

Hope all is well with you and the family.

Kent
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    me too!
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    this is probably overkill for a 3-hr cook, but it demonstrates why Stoker is favoured by geeks :blush:
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=1086289
    canuckland
  • I have pretty much made up my mind that when I get the money its going for a stoker. I am an UBER geek. I am so glad I started this topic before I bought a blower. I don't think for a minute I would have been disappointed in the DigiQ, I just had no idea that this stoker existed.

Thank you to everyone for the input on this.
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Everything is good on my end Kent. Jes' belly just keeps getting bigger and the due date is fast approaching. How have you been?
  • Grandpas Grub

Things are OK out here. Make sure you let us know when the baby is born.

Be well. Kent
  • Braumiester
    Braumiester Posts: 134
    Jagermeister wrote:
    I have the 5cfm with the stoker and don't have any problems on my large.

Ditto here.
  • funk49
    funk49 Posts: 115
    I bought the Cyber Q2. Easily hooked up to the computer with usb cable. I had to use an adapter set for cat 5 to allow it to run 100'. About 40 dollars extra on Amazon for both parts. I just thought I would make you more confused. You can use it with or without the computer. :)