Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Korean Short Ribs, wings and a some love for Mom.

Options
Mud Pig
Mud Pig Posts: 489
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I decided to host the Mother's Day BBQ at my house this year to celebrate the day for both my Mom and wife. My wife is 9 months pregnant and we are expecting a boy anytime now. I took her to a nice brunch yesterday with just the two of us to make her feel special. It was the calm before the BBQ storm last night.

Even though it was mother's day I know my Dad is a short rib fiend so I decided to introduce him to Korean BBQed short ribs and grilled wings this time around. The meal had an Asian theme with the chicken wings being the app. Needless to say the food was awesome off the egg.

First the prep:

About 6 pounds of short ribs from the Korean market up the street, you can only find this style of cut at K markets in DC. I marinaded them in Kalbi marinade for 24 hours. The marbling on the meat is amazing.
IMG00367-20110507-1433.jpg

Homemade BBQ sauce for the wings, 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/2 cup of ketchup, 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup water, a squirt of Siracha, and 3 tbs of brown sugar.
IMG00371-20110508-1459.jpg

The cook:

About 30 whole wings on the grill at 400 degrees, turn every 20 minutes. These were just about ready to be sauced.
IMG00375-20110508-1704.jpg

Short ribs on the large cast iron grate at 450 degrees, about 4-5 min per side for some nice caramelization.
IMG00377-20110508-1807.jpg

Wings sauced on the grill and served as an app.
IMG00376-20110508-1748.jpg

On to the main course, Japanese Mirin vinegar rice, sesame oil and soy sauce dressed Korean salad, and Korean short ribs.
IMG00380-20110508-1818.jpg

It was my Mom's b-day as well as it being Mother's Day. You have to take care of your momma.
IMG00381-20110508-1843.jpg

It was a nice day, a great cook and I'm looking forward to meeting my new son very soon.

That is all,

MP

Comments

• eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    MudPig, that is a great Mother's Day dinner.

I have a weakness for Korean Short Ribs......they look delectaable, as do the wings. :)

I'll be waiting for your birth announcement post! :)
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    Great cook Mudpig, and congrats on the very soon new addition!!
  • davehemp
    davehemp Posts: 109
    Options
    Nice post, MP! I'm interested in the Kalbi marinade...
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Those ribs look great!! I don't have a local source of such exotic cuts, but countless times I've used a recipe for the regular kind that I happened upon in 'Gourmet' magazine nearly 20 years ago. The ribs take a little longer to cook than suggested, and I marinate the scallions apart from the meat by preparing extra marinade (1.5 x times original recipe)... a few Ziploc work nicely for this.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Korean-Style-Grilled-Beef-Short-Ribs-and-Scallions-12552
  • Jerzee
    Jerzee Posts: 84
    Options
    Fantastic job and congratulations, soon to be daddy! :)
  • Mud Pig
    Options
    I always buy my Kalbi marinade from the Korean market, since its pre-mixed and always really good. If you can't find the marinade in a bottle at your local supermarket here is a rundown of how to make it at home.

Kalbi Marinade Recipe
    1 1/2 cups soy sauce
    3/4 cup white sugar
    1/4 cup sesame oil
    5 cloves of garlic, minced
    1/2 of a medium yellow onion, chopped
    3 large green onions, cut into small pieces
    2 tbl toasted sesame seeds
    1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes
    4-6 pounds of Korean short-ribs

Marinate for 24 hours.

Imparts a ton of flavor and the short ribs will taste amazing.
  • Mud Pig
    Options
    Thanks Eenie, not to worry I'll be posting a babies first BBQ thread as soon as we get him home and are settled in enough to do a cook.
  • Snickers
    Snickers Posts: 50
    Options
    Where did you buy that raised cooking grate ?
  • Mud Pig
    Options
    The raised cooking grate on the chicken wing pic is simply a weber cooking grate on top of a flip ring from the ceramic grill store. The pic of the short ribs is a large BGE cast iron grate, since they don't make one for the XL. That is sitting on top of a spider rig from the ceramic grill store.

MP
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I know that meal was full of wonderful flavors, nicely done! You took care of your women fine!
    I can't wait to see your new Egghead too. :laugh: ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    That was the sweetest post, and Sunday was a huge success for everybody! Looking forward to the first pix of the new boy.
    Judy in San Diego