Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WHAT is this CuT of MEAT?

EggLuver
EggLuver Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The label says, "VP Ribeye Steak 25S Beef Rib". It is 2.43 lbs, boneless, and about 3 inches thick. There is another label that says it is a "Beef for Oven Roast"??? It almost looks like an EXTREMELY thick ribeye. I'm not positive that the label reads VP or UP. Any ideas what this is and how to cook it??

Comments

• EggLuver wrote:
    The label says, "VP Ribeye Steak 25S Beef Rib".

That's an easy one.

VP stands for "Virtually Prime" which means the butcher doesn't know where it came from and doesn't know how to evaluate it, but thinks he can price it as if it were actually USDA Prime.

25S stands for "September 25th" which is when it got shoved to the back of the freezer and only got noticed yesterday.

Glad I could help.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    >Any ideas what this is and how to cook it??

On the egg?
  • EggLuver
    Yes, I want to cook it on the Egg. How would you do it?
  • EggLuver
    Yes, I want to cook it on the Egg. How would you do it?
  • EggLuver
    OMG, Smokey! I kept thinking you were going to hit me with a punchline. Are you serious? Your description makes this sound like a piece of crap mystery meat! Would that be an accurate description?

Surely they would not charge $10 per lb. for something they didn’t even know what it was!! AND had been frozen since last September!! It was with the fresh meat and didn’t say anything about being previously frozen. What in the world?!?!?

It really looks like a nice chunk of ribeye that hasn’t been cut. Come on, tell me SOMETHING positive about this before I put it on the Egg for tonight’s dinner! Please!!!
  • EggLuver
    Really, smokey? Just searched "virtually prime meat" on Google and NO results were found. Are you just joking? I've never heard of this, but then again, I don't know much at all about cuts of meat.
  • EggLuver
    Just talked to the butcher, smokey.

That was mean.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    You have a thick steak or a small roast.
    Same thing. Thinner, it'd be a rib eye steak. Bigger, it'd more obviously be a roast

If you try to cook it like a steak you'll have a massively well done exterior before the interior is how you like it.

You could go indirect at 250 until it was to your desired temp. That would slow roast it

Or put it in at 500 and close vents down so it lands around 325 for the rest of the cook
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    It IS a rib eye
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • EggLuver
    Thanks stike. This is the kind of help I was hoping for. I had never seen a cut like this especially with the kind of label it had. Found out VP stands for value packed and 25s had something to do with the size of the tray it was packaged in. Crazy. Why even put that on the label.

And BTW, for all the gullible people out there, like myself, it's NOT virtual prime!!!!!!!!!!
  • My apologies. Guess my style of humor doesn't come across very well.
  • EggLuver
    Probably does for someone not quite as gullible as myself. I love jokes, and really I kind of thought you had to be kidding, but as you can tell, I know VERY little about kinds of meat so I didn't know for sure if you were joking or if I had been taken for a ride at the market. Sorry to be so dense that I didn't know immediately to chuckle instead of panic.