Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked fire box

Options
wattwizz
wattwizz Posts: 33
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Repaired my cracked fire box with JB weld and it worked great until I did a high temp pizza cook. The repair failed. I did see on the instructions that it's only good up to 500* and posted this on the form. Reply's indicated no problems, go for it. Any comments?

I understand if I am the original owner (and I am)the fire box may be under warranty. If so what is the procedure?

Greg

Comments

• Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Just let your dealer know.It's under warranty and they should replace it.You may have to pay shipping.Not sure you have to turn in the old one.If not, put the new one in the garage your old fire box should work fine for a long time until it just falls apart.A lot of eggers are cooking with cracked fire boxes.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I'm still using my 9 year old cracked firebox. For the most part, once they break, they don't break any more because once the stress is relieved, there's nothing to break them.
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    The procedure for any warranty claim is to contact your dealer. If you should have one of the few dealers who can't seem to handle it, call BGE headquarters as a last resort.
    The Naked Whiz
  • wattwizz
    wattwizz Posts: 33
    Options
  • Primeggister1
    Options
    The new firebox will come to you with a saw cut at the door position. The saw cut allows for expansion and contraction when the ceramic heats up. This theory has proven itself for sometime now when it comes to concrete. It will bring alot more longivity to the firebox and will not disappoint first timers to the Egg and give it a fragile outlook to a newbie.

I am glad I met the guys from Research & Development at the EGGtoberfest in 2009. I am really pleased that they listen to Egg owners so well. John Creel and I had a good talk about this and I have read the posts from the past that he started having local Eggheads test out the newly modified firebox. This improvement that is so minor in design change must have saved the company alot of money. Your new firebox should be heat cured first, I suggest a low and slow for your first cook as a precaution. It will ensure the material is dry right down to the centre.

Happy Egging!
  • Sabbat
    Sabbat Posts: 26
    Options
    I agree with Naked Whiz on that one: when I moved to Adu Dhabi, my fire box cracked in transit. I've be constantly cooking on the egg in the pass two years and all is well... Until a brat from the neighborhood cracked my plate setter with a soccer ball yesterday... you guys think I can fix that with the epoxy?
    Cheers.
    Sabbat
  • Smokinb
    Smokinb Posts: 103
    Options
    Anyone have a picture of the newly improved firebox, with split?