Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Little Help Please . . . Thanks

Gator Bait
Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Hi All,

I'm looking for some help with my next cook. I have seen these at Sam's and always wondered about them. I guess I won't wonder much longer. :cheer:
DSCN8070A_640.jpg

This package had far more marbling then any of the others and caught my eye.
DSCN8086A_640.jpg

I asked the butcher if marbling was as important with pork as it is with beef as I had often wondered, I had assumed that it was. His reply was "Yes, better flavor and more tender". Cool.
DSCN8078A_640.jpg

I thought I would marinate them in a teriyaki based marinade and sauce them on the egg with Blues Hog to give them a nice finish. :P

What I do not know is what temperature to cook them at and to what internal. If you can give me an indication on how long they might take that would be of help also.

Thanks for the help,

Blair

Comments

• The Bone
    The Bone Posts: 14
    How thick are they?
  • Gator Bait

Hi Bone

I just checked, they probably range up to about a inch thick.

Blair

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Blair,

The only pork I cook hotter than 250* is tenderloin.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Not to alarm you but I always shy away from inhouse packaged pork at my local Sams, Costco or grocery store. Reason being it is something that is atypical for them to package. I always wonder why they packaged it.

Just couple visits ago to Sams, I had the butcher bring out a couple 3 packs of ribs because only ribs out were inhouse packaged product, like yours. Low and behold, the sell by dates on the 3 packs were the day before. Today is the 6th and your ribs have a sell by date of the 8th. Not saying but am wondering, given pork's typical long package life..........

I try to recognize what are normal inhouse packaged meat products where I shop and what is not.....saves me from wondering.....

Yeah Stike, I know the meat is good but would be better if discounted for aged product.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Gator Bait

Thanks Steven, I am think along the same line, maybe even a little lower and it seems that ribs and butts are happiest at 195º to 200º internal and have been think in that direction also.

These are for sometime this weekend so I have time to ask the pro's here. They look pretty nice, I expect great things from them. ;)

Blair

• Gator Bait

I hear ya and know of what you speak. I to am careful about what I buy. I have seen them repackage baby back ribs and re-date them, now they are repackaging some of the BB ribs to smaller packages, I guess to move them better (I hope), I always get them in the cryovac package of three racks that has the packing house date on them. These are always in-house packaged and look fine with good color. Thanks for the advice.

Blair

• Papaegger17
    Papaegger17 Posts: 13
    Use to work in a butcher shop and we sold "boneless ribs". They are just a pork loin cut in half or thirds length wise. They will dry out big time if u over cook worse then a whole loin dose. I always did them hot and fast. It's pretty much just a long boneless pork chop. Hope this helps.
  • Gator Bait

Thanks Papaegger, the meat looks like loin, it will be an interesting eggsperiment. :laugh:

Blair

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I agree with P17,they look like lengthwise cut pork loins.Pull em at 140 IT.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    I'm with Hoss on these. Treat like a monster chop or maybe slows cook them and then put them in a pan with sauce like you would do blade steaks ala Chubby.
  • Gator Bait

Tanks Hoss, I agree, they do look like loin. They also look like they are cut crosswise into rib wide sections. I will know more tomorrow when I open them to start marinating them. :)

Blair

• dugdbug
    dugdbug Posts: 244
    So there are no bones?
  • Gator Bait

I think you are right, it will be interesting to see how they are cut when I marinate them. That might help determine how to proceed with them. Thanks for the in put.

Blair

• Gator Bait

Nope, they are boneless but look like they are cut crosswise into a rib like shape. Hahaha, they will be interesting if nothing else. I hope they are good! :lol:

Blair

• dugdbug
    dugdbug Posts: 244
    I bet they will be speggtacular!! :P
    No bones about it :)