Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie Egg Assembly Question

lwrehm
lwrehm Posts: 381
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When tightening the upper band on my large BGE I noticed that the bottom edge of the band is not really supported and the band twists when I apply pressure to the nut. The bolt is bent and it seems tight but I don't want to loose the lid first time I fire it up. It almost seems as if the band is too low on the lid. How concerned should I be?

P1000813.jpg

P1000815.jpg

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    You want the lower band all the way to the bottom and the upper band all the way to the top. You can use a piece of wood to tap the bands up and down, then tighten, tap again and tighten. Make sure it passes the dollar bill test all around when done.
  • lwrehm
    I'm concerned because the instructions say "Next, position the hing/band assembly so the lower bank is as low as it will go all the way around on the egg bottom. The upper and lower bands will be properly spaced by the hing assemble at the rear..."
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    lwrehm, Welcome to the forum. :)

Also, know your life is about to change. ;)

About your bands. You may want to push your bottom band down and your top band up. I thing you have them nice and tight. Thats good.

I do want to make a strong suggestion. Consider placing the green feet under the base on the stone. Place one directly under the hinge and split the other two. Now when you open the dome your egg won't tilt back. The reason for this is because of the fire hazard that could occur because the heat under the base will transfer though the stone to the wood and eventually char the shelf and quite possibly ignite.
  • lwrehm
    I have pushed the bands as far apart as I could, it is a b*(&h to loosen them once they are tight so I hope I'm good.

I will take your advice on the feet, when I was just out moving the bands it did seem a bit "shifty".
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Nice looking table. I take it, you built it yourself?

With positioning the bands, you can loosen the 8 nuts that attach each band to the hinge. Loosen them enough to allow the bands a tiny bit more wiggle room. Once you get the bands where you want them, tighten down the big nut / bolt assembly and then tighten down the 8 nuts (per band).

Adjusting the dome is a fiddly little bugger, but once you do it once, you get the hang of it.

Oh.. and is that a price tag on your ash tool? I hear if you use the thing those tags just fall right off. ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    You should be good to go for now. ;)

What's on the menu? :huh:
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That's bout what mine looks like. My lid hasn't dropped out yet (coming up on my 1 yr anniversary). You do want to tighten the nuts periodically (maybe check after your first cook- especially if you get her hot).

I would take Tim's advice on using the feet on the paver.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lwrehm
    Now I really went and "crapped the bed"! Tried again to loosen, adjust, and retighten the upper band bolt and busted the bolt. I also noticed that I chipped the glaze on the lid a little bit from the band twisting then I was tightening the nut.

I did get the feet put under the BGE, so that is done. Unfortunately the wife is out and the boy is sleeping so no run to the hardware store til morning. At least I have a better idea what I need to do once I have the new bolt. Guess I should have searched and read posts here before I started to assemble, I was just too darn impatient!
  • 2Fategghead
    Well quick call the police and have them bring you a nut and bole! :woohoo:

Call 911! Call 911! Call 911! Call 911! Call 911! Call 911!

I guess you will get to it tomorrow. Have a great evening. ;)
  • lwrehm
    The 4 y/o fell asleep on the couch, the hard ware store is open for another hour and a half, and is only 3 blocks away....maybe I could run and be back before he wakes up....no better not.
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Just drop something next to the couch. "Oh sorry, did I wake you? While you're awake... let's run to the HW store!..."

Or... you could call your wife. :)

Don't worry about the chip It won't cause any issues.

T
  • 2Fategghead
    Call the hardware store. Maybe they will deliver. Tell them it's an emergency! :laugh:

All in good time. ;)

Tim :)
  • ChuggaBrew
    ChuggaBrew Posts: 57
    Be careful what type bolt you get. If you get a grade 8 bolt it's going to take alot of force to bend. Don't know if this matters much, but it's something to think about.
  • lwrehm
    Got the new bolt, and a couple of extras...worked much better this time. Thanks for the help!

P1000816.jpg
  • 2Fategghead
    Alright have a great weekend. ;)

Keep coming back. :)
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    PhilsGrill wrote:
    You want the lower band all the way to the bottom and the upper band all the way to the top. You can use a piece of wood to tap the bands up and down, then tighten, tap again and tighten. Make sure it passes the dollar bill test all around when done.
    New guy here. "Dollar bill test"? (I'm guessing the lid fits tight enough you can't pull a dollar bill out anywhere along the seal?)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• CaptDave
    CaptDave Posts: 54
    It will pull out, but with resistance, the same resistance all around. I adjusted mine until it was almost the same all around and it has no leaks that I can tell. There is a video online, I think its on the BBQ Guys Website where they show the dollar bill test.
    Oh, welcome aboard. I'm fairly new myself, but love this site. Perfect companion to owning a BGE!