Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Maverick ET-73 question

smokeystoversmokeystover Posts: 68
edited 5:16PM in EggHead Forum
Newbie here.
Got an ET-73 temp monitor, and it works great, no problems.

But whenever I go to use it, I have to take the back off the transmitter and turn it on so it can sync with the receiver. Otherwise the receiver can't receive the signal.

Makes no difference if I leave the transmitter on or off. If it's left on between uses, I still have to take the back off, turn it off and on again.

Am I missing something here? I assume so, but I wonder why it's designed this way.

Comments

• 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    It's made that way. ;)
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Leave both the TX & RX on all the time. Or continue to take the back off. Just the nature of the beast.

GG
    Hey Kent. Hope your doing alright. ;)
  • Old SaltOld Salt Posts: 28
    They do that for watertight integrity. Like the other have said either keep it on or take the back off each time. I take the back off and turn it on and off for each use, had a battery go out half way through a cook once.
  • Guess I was just afraid that leaving them on would run the battery down too fast. Not a big problem?

Do'n ok. It sure is a nice day toady, we will get another couple more cold spells but that should be it.

Hope all is well with you and Cindy.

Kent

Over time that internal switch will most likely break/wear out.

GG
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    I have multiple et73s.One reason they are designed that way is.......You turn on one receiver then sync it with the transmitter.Then you can turn on a second one(receiver) and sync it and so on.That way you can use several at the same time on the same cook and they all operate independently.
    Yeah we are OK as well. We have had enough with severe weather. :angry:

I got a one time mowing job today. Our friends built a new house and 3 acre yard was as tall as a hay field ready to be cut. Two feet tall and some places were three feet tall. I had to go over four times but, It came out great. We made fair money.
  • Hoss wrote:
    I have multiple et73s.One reason they are designed that way is.......You turn on one receiver then sync it with the transmitter.Then you can turn on a second one(receiver) and sync it and so on.That way you can use several at the same time on the same cook and they all operate independently.

Thanks!
    That's exactly the information I needed. Seems a shame that they couldn't put an external switch on the transmitter. Doesn't seem like it would raise the cost of the unit by more than half a buck or so.
  • TRPIVTRPIV Posts: 278
    Off Topic -

Smokey, Nice Avatar. Do you brew your own? If so, we should chat!

Ted