Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature control system

Options
Jfroe
Jfroe Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am considering a temperature control system for my large egg. They seem pricey but it certainly would give me a good nights sleep for those long cooks.

Are some better than others? price is a considation.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    A lot of info on this can be found by doing a search.

I have and use both the Stoker and DigiQ (q2). Both are great. If you are "only" going to monitor 1 meat and the pit it really doesn't matter which unit you get.

If you take the time to read the manual on the Stoker it is as simple 2 use as the DigiQ (q2). If you are doing a second cook the same as the first, nothing needs to be changed on either unit. If you need a higher temperature on the pit and or a different meat temperature you need to push some buttons on either unit to get the new settings. Nothing harder than that.

Beyond that, for me, the Stoker is a better choice. I can control multiple eggs and monitor multiple foods on almost any number of eggs at the same time. I can control all those items remotely on any device that has internet connectivity. The stoker can email and tweet the information if desired.

If I have a temperature or pit probe go out for one reason or another on the Stoker I simply assign a different probe food or pit to control the blower. Ont he q2 you need to have a probe on hand or buy a new probe and wait for delivery.

Service is great from both companies. It seems a phone call works best with the Stoker folks.

Labor day I cooked brisket on the large egg using the Stoker and 2 Boston Butts on the medium using the q2. Obviously the q2 could only monitor 1 of the Boston butts. I then added 3 extra probes to the Stoker when went over to the medium egg and monitored the q2 cook. 1 probe for the pit and 1 probe each in the 2 Boston Butts.

I then went into the computer and pulled up the Stokler program and monitored both cooks on the same screen. I could change any control settings on the stoker (the large egg) and monitor all probes with alarms on both eggs. The Stoker could not change the settings on the q2 obviously but it could monitor. My son turned on his Iphone and was also watching and could control the settings if needed. It turned out that I needed to bump the temperature on the brisket and that was done from my sons Iphone.

If you think you will need to expand at some point in time and/or like techie stuff get the Stoker.

I bought the q2 and then decided I wanted to play around with the temperatures via computer and ended up buying the Stoker. I haven't sold either one as of yet. For my use if I got rid of one of the controllers it would be the DigiQ.

If you end up deciding you want the DigiQ then take a look at the Auberins controller. I have heard from several forum members who really like it. The overall cost was about $120. www.auberins.com
    Another Low cost controller is the iQue 110 again recommended by forum members. http://www.pitmasteriq.com/

Hope this sheds a little more light with your search.

GG
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Options
    The reply above pretty much sums it up. Not much left to say. :)

T
  • Clavin
    Clavin Posts: 91
    Options
    So many gadgets wanted, so few stacks of $50 bills lying around the house to get them.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

There has been some very good reports on the lower cost pit only systems.

GG
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    You already have one built into the egg. The top and bottom vents is all anyone needs to control the temperature perfectly.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Tell it like it is Phil.....
    If one wants to use a powered electronic draft controller, might as well be cooking in a steel drum.
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Options
    Grandpas Grub wrote:
    There has been some very good reports on the lower cost pit only systems.

GG

PhilsGrill wrote:
    You already have one built into the egg. The top and bottom vents is all anyone needs to control the temperature perfectly.

Both statements are true, and something worth thinking about.

The egg is CRAZY stable, once you get the temps dialed in. You could start with a Mav ET-732 and then work on perfecting controlling the temps via the vent settings. Once you accomplish that you'd be hard pressed to 'need' a temperature controller.

If you wanted one on a budget, some of the lower cost systems, when coupled with the mav 732, would work out very well.

There are lots of options out there, it really just depends on what you want to spend.

Bottom line - the eggs are really stable and you'd be hard pressed to find someone who thinks you 'need' a temp controller.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing. :)
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Ha yeah, the way I figure it if'in y'all use one of those fancy smancy things you just don't know how to use them thar vents. :whistle: