Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easy Flank Steaks

Options
Gator Bait
Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Hi All,

It's flank steaks again. I enjoyed the ones I did for Easter so much I thought I would try another variation. This was suggested by a friend recently so I thought I would give it a shot.

The marinade . . . my friend uses Italian flavor, I thought the Garlic & Herb sounded good. I'll try the Italian the next time. I made it according to the directions.
DSCN8036A_640.jpg

The marinade/dressing was nice and thick, coating the meat well. I used a full batch of marinade/dressing for 3.66 pounds of steak. I thought $5.96/lb was steep until I saw that skirt steak was going for the same. :blink:
DSCN8047A_640.jpg

I forgot to pick up the camera until I was down to the last two pieces, I was doing them in batches so they would fit on my medium egg better.
DSCN8050A_640.jpg

The flip . . . CI grate low on fire box, dome temperature was about 500º and I was giving the thickest ones 2 minutes a side and letting them rest while the next were on. They were coming off at between 120º and 128º. Thinner pieces were getting about 1.5 minutes a side when the dome got closer to 600º.
DSCN8052A_640.jpg

All cooked . . .
DSCN8058A_640.jpg

Sliced across the grain . . .
DSCN8064A_640.jpg

YUMMY!!! as Hoss might say. :)
DSCN8067A_640.jpg

This marinade was very mild. I let them marinate for 24 hours sealed in a plastic bag in the frig. The finished steaks were very tender, juicy and have good steak flavor with just a very slight flavor of the dressing. This was an easy way to do very good flank steaks.

Have a great week All,

Blair

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Blair, They look perfectly cooked! How are you going to reheat when needed. I'm certain you will not eat all of that in one sitting....right?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Molly, Ya, that's a bit much for one sitting, maybe when I was younger. I haven't thought that far ahead. I can think of a lot of ways I'd like to eat it but can't. Everything I would like to do involves carbohydrates, sandwiches, tacos, on top of noodles with some gravy . . . I'll think of something I'm sure. :laugh:

Blair

• cookn biker
    Options
    No carrots! :laugh: ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Quite a pile of steak! I need to give flank steak a try -your photos certainly give me the inspiration to do so. Thanks for posting them.... :)
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hahahaha, your no help! :laugh:

Maybe some grilled onions and some sautéed 'shrooms and a little gravy? Could be good! :)

Blair

• cookn biker
    Options
    No gravy. Topped on a nice pile of romaine and grated cheese. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Elizabeth, I'll probably get out the FoodSaver and freeze a bit of it. A nice thing about flank steak is that there is very little wasted, no bones or big pieces of fat. It is lean and tasty.

Blair

• Gator Bait
    Options

That sounds good, even if it is green! :laugh:

Cheese has a lot of calories but it would be tasty!

Blair

• Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    Options
    That looks awesome Blair, I like the idea of a mild marinade. Got to get me one of those CI grates.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Nicely done Blair. You made me hungry and it's 6:am nearly. Did you put some up for left overs? You have a nice weekend as well. :)
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Bear, I think the oil in the marinade helps retain the juices in the steak but that is just a theory. The marinade is so mild the next time I would be tempted to add some more garlic and some of my homemade Herbs de Provence. The anise seed is something I have been playing with and is not traditional. All the herbs are dried. This stuff has a wonderful fragrance and makes a great all round herb blend you can use just about anywhere.

4 T Thyme
    3 T Marjoram
    1 T Oregano
    1 T Basil
    1 t Rosemary ground
    1 t Sage ground
    1.5 t Anise Seed ground (optional)

The CI grate is nice but is a luxury item. It makes wonderful grill marks but will also effect cooking times. Because of its weight and mass it is a thermal well and holds a lot more heat then the original wire grate (I wore the porcelain off mine long ago, lol) The tangerine steaks I did for Easter were over cooked a bit because I haven't used this grate in a long time and forgot to account for the faster cooking, this time I compensated and they are much better. I cut my cooking time by 20%.

Blair

• Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Tim, I will put some up for leftovers or I will be eating flank steak for days, lol. While not a bad thing it would be nice to mix things up. I have all sorts of nice surprises in the freezer. :cheer:

Blair

• Smokemout
    Smokemout Posts: 4
    Options
    Looks yummy. Good idea to cut into manageable chunks. My son works for a food services company and this half cow fell off the back of the truck. About 6 pounds more than I usually get.

Thanks
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Send that truck past my house. :woohoo:
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I'm like you Blair. Cindy and I cooked a two bone standing rib roast and after we sliced two pieces off it we let it cool off and food saver ed it into the freezer for another time. :P