Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Backs - Help

Options
Harley Butts
Harley Butts Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My husband is the griller (beginner with the BGE)and he's at work. I have three racks of baby backs that should be ready for dinner around 6:00 tonight and it's a little after noon. Problem is I can't move the EGG out of the garage as there's a lip from the garage to driveway and I don't want to break the EGG. He'll be home by 4:00 and can get the EGG going then. Should I put these in the indoor oven to get them going and finish them off on the EGG. Help!

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    That may be your best bet. Even if he gets home by four it will take at least a half hour to get the egg lit and stable. You may want to search quick ribs. I believe AZRP has a method.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    You can and they would be fine but the only real problem is the smoke won't be absorbed because you will have already cooked the outside of the meat. Now if you aren't adding wood chips or chunks than you will be fine.

Not really that big of a deal but it may be something you notice in the flavor when eating.

I have actually done what you are asking when I have a lot of ribs to cook. I put my ribs in a baking dish add a little liquid smoke and put some beer it with them. Put your rub on the ribs cover with foil and cook at 225 deg till hubby comes home and he can finish them on the egg. Now there are other ways of doing them to. You can put them in a baking dish and leave them uncovered and do the same thing but you can dry them out. Cook them for a couple of hours covered and then cover them till hubby comes home.
  • Kew_el_steve
    Kew_el_steve Posts: 354
    Options
    You won't be able to get them smoked, but they can be lowed-and-slowed. Don't panic and get them real hot. Put them in a shallow pan at 225-235*. A LITTLE Apple juice in the pan and/or spritzed wouldn't hurt either.
    B)
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    You can cheat and add a touch of liquid smoke. Don't laugh I have seen people win comps doing the same thing.
  • Harley Butts
    Options
    If hubby is home after two hours covered at 225, how should I have him finish them off in the BGE - temperature and time, on a rib rack or right on the grate, sauce on the last half hour?
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Even though this is sacriligous...

I cook ribs in my pressure cooker for 25 minutes at 15 psi. Following the cook, I release the pressure quickly by slowly running water over the cooker. I then throw them on my pre-heated egg which has been sitting at 400 dome temp along with a handfull of apple chips. About 8 minutes a side and they are absolutely wonderful and as good as any out there. From start to finish in about an hour! I would enter them in any rib competition there is...they are that good.