Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hay For Smoke?

Options
Chef Charles
Chef Charles Posts: 871
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have not posted in a while due to my preoccupation with our kitchen renovation. I was looking through past entries in a blog associated with a national paper and noticed this recipe entry -- perhaps it has already been posted.

http://life.nationalpost.com/2011/04/12/the-meat-lessons-a-spring-fling-with-lamb-cooked-in-hay/#more-14301

I always take interest in something that is associated with the egg. I doubt that I would try to cook something using hay :sick:

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Interesting article Tom, I grew up on a small farm and played in the fresh dried hay as a kid and remember the wonderful sweet dry grassy fragrance like it was yesterday. I doubt that I could find hay as nice as my Dad used to cut. Some hay can be down right moldy and nasty. I think I will stick to my wood chunks/chips. I think some oak or maple chunks or Jack Daniels chips would taste much better, still very interesting.

Good luck with the kitchen,

Blair

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Thou shalt not knock withouttrying I guess

The guy seems to have worked thru an approach and found an amount that 'works'. Guess I wouldn't be so quick to go to the puke emoticon

Lots of folks seem to be sure things are disgusting, even when there's another group trying to tell everyone how great it is

I guess I always side with Trying. Hay is an immature flower, isn't it? Or something close to it anyway. I dunno

Hat's off to the guy for trying anyway
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Vincent Chase
    Options
    I follow about 150 chefs on my Twitter account and a lot of them write in about using hay smoke in their preparations. It's a trendy thing to do in the food world right now I guess.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Hay is just grass that has been allowed to grow, then is cut and dried. Never heard of any made from immature flowers, but you city folk/yankees do some things a little differently.
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    Your right ... you really should try something before coming to any conclusions. When I think of smoking something, hay is not on the top of my list :laugh: .

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• stike
    Options
    i mean, doesn't it flower and cross pollinate to make the seed?

i dunno.
    my point is that you just can't assume it sucks just because it isn't often done.

corn is a perverted form of grass, and country hams can be smoked with cobs, etc.

if it smells good, it'll probably taste good. what do i know... just advocating for the experimentalists :laugh:
  • stike
    Options
    nor mine.
    but new mown grass smells pretty good.

:laugh:
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Options
    Ya gotta be willing To try new things. After all, where would we be if that first guy looked at that white roundish thing that came out of a chicken's butt and said "wonder what that would taste like?". Or even the first guy (or gal) who looked between that bull's rear legs and said "hmmm, wonder what those would taste like fried?"
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    I dunno, I think that last item probably involved moonshine and a dare.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Steven Raichlen has a few recipes that use hay for smoke in a couple of different books of his.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings