Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spiral cut ham for egret's ham

Options
fiercetimbo17
fiercetimbo17 Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was out of town for Easter so I'm doing it a week late, however I got a great deal on a spiral cut sothats what I will be using.
I assume the cooking time will be closer to what the label says, 1 3/4 hours at 275 so is in the 2-2 1/2 hour range seem like a good estimate?
I have also read about some people say spiral cut can dry out easily, is there anything I should do to prevent this? Possibly pull at a lower temp?
Thanks

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I now only do sprial cut an like them.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fiercetimbo17
    Options
    Do you do them any differently than the recipe?
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I found the injection didn't stay inside very well and was messy. Next ham I do I want to try a non spiral cut ham and give that one a whirl.
  • fiercetimbo17
    Options
    So you used a spiral and injected? I read someone would just rub it in between the cuts by hand.
    I also saw some suggest tieing up the ham to keep it from drying out. And I had the thought of doing that then injecting it but not sure how well it would hold the syrup.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I'm with Mickey and don't toss that bone it will make some of the best soups you have ever eaten. Sometimes better than the ham cook.

I do inject. If you watch the temperature it won't dry out. Cooking too hot and or long dries out the meat.

Here is how I inject and cook them, it works pretty darn good.

Spiral Cut Ham Cook

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Don't spread the slices and tieing up the ham won't do anything for holding the injection in.

See my post below.

Heading horizontal. zzzzzz

GG
  • fiercetimbo17
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, I'll try injecting it tomorrow.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    This just works for me. Could not get high dollar or low dollar infector to work worth beans.
    Do all by hand and as Kent said- save the bone.
    photo-126.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fiercetimbo17
    fiercetimbo17 Posts: 141
    Options
    I just put it in the egg, I'm hoping it will take about 2 hours. Didnt have any bourbon so gave me an excuse to go to the liquor store.
    35fc5c70.jpg
    Here it is injected and rubbed. Used the broken toothpicks method to keep the plastic wrap off the paste rub, worked great. I did have a good amount of syrup leak out, I would guess 3 oz of the 9 I injected but I could be trying to inject too much as it was only a 10 lb ham
    cfb5843f.jpg