Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New band issue

Options
wattwizz
wattwizz Posts: 33
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just replaced my gasket and decided to replace my spring bands while I was at it sense they are about 20+ years old. The gasket turned out fine with no gaps after adjusting the dome. The springs will not hold the dome in the open position and I don't see any adjustment for this. Any help would be appreciated.

Greg

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Are you sure it's not upside down?

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Options
    Hey Greg,

Kind of new here, so maybe I'm not the best person to answer this, but...

When you say you replaced the 'bands', did you actually replace both bands and the entire hinge assembly with the new model hinge?

If so, are you sure it's installed the right way up?

Heh - the more I look at the hinge, it'd be very hard to install it upside down:

6a00d8341c113653ef0133ed76718e970b-500wi

Do you have any photos of your install?

Ted
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I know there is a little difference in size on some of the older eggs.

Now if your egg is made of clay we are taking a whole different beast.
  • TRPIV
    Options
    That's kind of what I was thinking too... If it's an older model - could the lid be heavier than one of the newer models.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    double check that they are not upside down.. had trouble with our large top staying up... we had them upside down LOL for years.
  • wattwizz
    wattwizz Posts: 33
    Options
    By do I feel stupid. Ya, upside down. What threw me was the original was all welded together and the bolts were on the left. On the new one the bolts were on the right so I installed by bolt position. I really am very mechanical. Thanks all!

Greg
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    LOL thought so. hey don't feel stupid I have that covered, my egg was 6 years old and we had taken it to help cook at a troop cook in NH Celtic Wolf pointed it out to me with much glee :S
  • BOWHUNR
    Options
    wattwizz wrote:
    By do I feel stupid. Ya, upside down. What threw me was the original was all welded together and the bolts were on the left. On the new one the bolts were on the right so I installed by bolt position. I really am very mechanical. Thanks all!

Greg

Don't ask me how I knew. ;)

Mike
    Omaha, NE

Omaha, NE
  • BOWHUNR
    Options
    wattwizz wrote:

Greg

Don't ask me how I knew. ;)

Mike
    Omaha, NE

Omaha, NE
  • TRPIV
    Options
    Glad it was that simple.

Your comment "I really am very mechanical" made me laugh out loud.