Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st time brisket with a butt

Options
Bill E. Piratefish
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey ho eggheads! Been lurking here since I bought my BGE a few month ago. So as the subject line stated, I am attempting to smoke a brisket and butt together.
Details: 1 12lb brisket, 1 9lb butt, 1 Large green egg, 1 party for my wife's work peeps 3PM-??

I have read a lot about how to do this and I think that I will start at 6PM tonight. I want the meat off and in the cooler by noon. I will smoke butt over brisket but I will use drip pans under both (bark issues got me worried about the drip). I will start with brisket at 6PM (18hours/12X1.5) and add butt at 10PM(14hours/9X1.5). I will smoke with apple chips at 250 degrees. I have Bryons Butt Rub on both and they have been in the frig since yesterday. I will spary the butt with apple juice and the brisket with a beef broth/worscheser/cayenne mix.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Grilldog
    Grilldog Posts: 21
    Options
    Good luck, sounds good. I'd figure on at least 1 hour per pound for the brisket cooking time. Most likely it's going to be more since you are cooking at such a low temp and are going raise the lid for a bit when you add the butt. One thought would be that if you are using a dripping pan work out a sauce recipe using the drippings.
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Options
    I think you ought to allow more time just to be safe. I haven't had very good luck trying to cut things that close.

You intend to smoke at 250 degrees so your timeframe may work out. I usually smoke my butts at around 200-225. At that temperature, I would allow about 20 hours for your 9lb butt.
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    Options
    It might be safer to use 2 hrs/lb for the butt.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • Bill E. Piratefish
    Options
    Ok, here is how it went.

Started smoking the BGE at 5PM @225-240
    12lb brisket sat below rim and closer to the fire.
    It hit 195 at 8:30AM....15.5hours.

9lb butt sat above the rim on a grill extender.
    It hit 170 about 10AM and I was starting to get nervous so I cranked up the BGE to 300.
    It hit 195 (usually like to get it to 200 but I had stuff to do before the party) at 1PM....20hours.

I removed and wrapped them in foil and a towel and placed them in a cooler.

Pulled both meats at 4:30PM and beef was still warm/hot and butt was hot. Butt was the winner by far but the brisket was also very tasty!

Feed 20 people no problem. I think next time I will just do 2 butts. Brisket is good but that pulled pork is money!!!!!