Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Winston NC trip coming up

Options
yankeefan
yankeefan Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Will be staying at the Hampton Inn on Summit Ct Drive in Winston for 4 days and was wondering if you can suggest any restaurants close by to visit. Found Stamey's (Greensboro) and 2 in Winston, Hill's and Little Richards. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just looking for some great tasting BBQ. Curious, is everything in that region vinegar based or are there any red, sweet sauced based too?

Thanks,
Howard

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    assuming you mean winston salem, you should probably try Lexington BBQ, also known as Lexington #1 and Honey Monks. :) Lex is about 20 miles from WS. I will see if I can find my earlier post with a map... it's hard to find.

I have never tried it myself, but it gets great reviews. Vidalia1 was there recently and said it was good.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bobbert
    Bobbert Posts: 27
    Options
    I am from Greensboro, but work in Winston-Salem. I have tried many of the local BBQ places in those two towns.

You may want to consider traveling to Lexington, NC. It takes about the same amount of time to reach Lexington as Greensboro from W/S.

Lexington BBQ is well known and well regarded. However, last time I was there we tried Speedy's ( speedysbbqinc.com ) and it is my favoriate thus far. Most of it around here is vinegar based, you have to go a bit west for more of the tomato based. You should make sure to order with hushpuppies. Yum..

Bobbert
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Where would you recommend in Greensboro? My sister recently moved there, and will be visiting in the future.
    Thanks,
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Oh well, found my post, but had deleted the map. This works though... In Google Maps, search for

Childers Park Lexington, NC

Lexington BBQ is just west of the park. It's labeled on the map if you zoom in a bit.

Freds-card-day-2-46.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bobbert
    Bobbert Posts: 27
    Options
    Stameys BBQ, just across High Point Road at the Greensboro Coliseium is standard BBQ fare and will not disappoint.
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
  • tarheelforever
    Options
    I live in between WS and Greensboro. If in Kernersville try Clarks BBQ on Hwy 66. If you are looking for the best the trip to Lexington is worth it. Low key and great Q.
  • Axeman
    Axeman Posts: 24
    Options
    Little Richards on Country Club Rd is about the best in Winston, it's vinegar based lexington style, he smokes his meat with wood, he sold some franchises that he doesnt own and they are not as good (they cook with gas)
  • yankeefan
    yankeefan Posts: 42
    Options
    thanks to all......have asked some employees that work in Winston to take a trip to Lexington with me.

Thanks again,
    Howard