Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

On-Topic & semi-OT: Our Easter 2011 Spread...

13»

Comments

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Ya know that was pretty nice but I would really like to see more effort. More origionality next time. Not just the same old same old! :laugh: Come on Stike what can you expect from a cook like that from me?? Just beutiful! :whistle:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    you remembered that, huh?
    well, he wasn't here. he's left his wife. true colors.

although, he did say that he was going to let her take the kids this past weekend, because "they can't miss easter" at our place. :laugh:

we do a big Easter egg hunt for the kids, too. their kids have been coming since they were born
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    wife and i, and my oldest boy. the youngest ate chicken nuggets
  • stike
    well, there's an element of truth to that. i think i have posted this stuff in one form or another previously. nuthin new here, move along! hahaha
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    whoops read that post early am before Bubba hit it LOL well deserved award there too!
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    I have spent more time in that book due to this post, so thank YOU for that. You certainly did EVERYthing justice! Truly, a post that will give sooo many inspiration of new things to aspire to! Amazing job.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    stike, I feel as if you've taken me on a trip to times long past. Everything made from scratch, including the curing and pickling. Just amazing. :)

I am sure this is one meal that will never be forgotten by anyone lucky enough to have eaten your Easter feast.

I would have shown up on your doorstep for your door prizes if only I had known. ;)
  • stike
    thanks eenie.
    still havesome pate, pancetta, and bacon. got a duck prosciutto hanging around here too somewhere.
    hahaha

stop by!
  • Amazing Stike. I worked as a GM at a fine dining restaurant with an Italian born chef for five years and was always amazed at the stuff he could pull off. Gravlox, proscuitto, cappicola, smoked duck breast, goose liver pate, duck confit ect, and you are rivaling him. It takes true talent, patience and knowledge to get that stuff right and it all looks perfect. I've been following the forum for about 3 years but don't post much, but wanted you to know that I appreciate the different things you bring to it. A lot of things on my to do list that you have shown. Thanks again.
  • stike
    that's quite a compliment... thank you.

i'll be honest, all the stuff i do is straight from a recipe. i couldn't invent anything to save my life. but i do enjoy the process and there's a lot of satisfaction when the best ham you ever had is the one you made yourself. even if it was pretty easy.

what intrigues me is that there are so few ingredients, and yet the transformation is profound. i mean, fresh ham, salt, sugar, maple syrup, and smoke, and yet WHAM. incredible flavor, texture, and great added smoke favor on top of it.

i always try to giv credit where's it's due (the different cookbooks or forum member that set me in the right direction). if only to show everyone it really isn't that hard.

thanks again
  • Like most everyone else, I'm floored. Excellent job Stike!
  • On winning the coveted award :woohoo:
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    Stike, I'm speechless!
    Gary
    canuckland
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Stike,

Amazing! ;)

can't wait to try my hand at some of those recipes.
  • stike
    aw geez. i am startin to feel a little self-conscious. :laugh:

i really didn't think this was gonna be such a big deal. lots of pics, yeah, but all that stuff is straight from a book. and, as you know, the durty little secret for about 99% of this stuff is that all you need to do is follow directions. it's literally no more difficult than making a gunkin hines boxed cake. :laugh:

sure, i guess in total it looks like a lot (certainly a lotta meat!), but i started some of it over a month ago.

anyway. thanks. and thanks for the bubba tim nomination too. nice to have you in my corner advocating to the award chairman

the Victoria Wise book is a little gem. it is an nice equal to the ruhlman/polcyn book we've been pushing for a couple years now.
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    thats quite a spread... Nice job.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Zyme
    Zyme Posts: 180
    what an amazing post. The skin on the hams looks incredible. I need to get invited to your place, lol!
  • stike
    thanks.
    that's actually fat. i was going around eating it off everyone's plate. hahaha

so. a question for those that know. the ham had a fat thickness of a half inch or more in some spots. how do i get a feel for thickness, so that i can trim it to a uniform 1/4 inch or a little less? i was wondering if a toothpick inserted when fresh (uncured) might provide a tell-tale change when it passes thru the fat and hits the flesh under it

how do they trim to a uniform thickness without taking off too much?
  • stike
    thx
    -J
  • stike
    thanks much.
  • stike
    just wanted to share it, but i guess taken in all it is a bit much. :laugh:

the real reason is that i wanted to drop the lamb ham on the forum, but not before easter. so i waited a bit too long and the pics sorta backed up, um, just a bit
  • stike
    thanks vincent.
    you need to visit fred's franks some time
  • G-squared
    G-squared Posts: 35
    Wow, all I can say is WOW! One of the most amazing spreads I have seen in a very long time!
    LGE
    CIA-81
    Garner, North Carolina
    Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all-Harriet van Horne
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Quite the spread. I'm not sure if I can get fresh enough salmon for gravlax, but I'm going to keep my eyes open!!
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • stike
    well. um, er. hate to admit it. but that was frozen salmon :whistle: :unsure:

i wanted to splurge on a nice fresh chunk of salmon, but a whole side was cost-prohibitive, and the store always has those long (but thin) fillets laying in a freezer case. so, it was wild (not farmed), but frozen.

i've done it with wild fresh, and it's great. but this helped round out an already full table. still have more than half left. some years they devour it, and some years they skip it. :unsure:
  • stike
    thanks. just wanted to share some smoked and cured stuff. it's fun and fairly easy to do. pretty rewarding. looks like a lot more than it really was.
  • stike
    thankibus muchibus, DOW :)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    What a post Jeff. Lots of pic's and amazing food. I just got to make some bacon brittle. :P I'll look and see if you left the recipe somewhere. Your pancetta, bacon, and duck prosciutto look amazing. I must have missed your lamb ham post it must be delicious. :P I know that the dijon and heavy cream had to been tasty. :P You sure have been busy I hope you got to enjoy yourself. Thanks for posting. ;)
  • stike
    thanks man.
    the brittle is really just regular old peanut brittle, a on pound recipe. add about 8 broken up strips of good bacon (home made if you have it ;) ) plus a tsp of red pepper flakes, toward the end (just before adding the butter and baking soda)

lamb ham is called “fenalår” in norwegian, or “fenalaar”

it's really good stuff