Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature for Chicken legs ?

Options
Snickers
Snickers Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking chicken legs tonight. What dome temp should I do it at ?

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    300º-500º will all work. Just be sure to cook to 185º-195º internal temps and it will be juicy like you won't believe. Most also like to do chicken a little higher in the dome.
  • Snickers
    Snickers Posts: 50
    Options
    Thanks ! I have to get that elevated grate so I don't burn it.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    FWIW, I've been reading thru the food safety section of the recently released "Modernist Cuisine." What is stated there is that its O.K. to just go up to 165. At 185, any nasties are dead instantly. At 165, it takes a few minutes, but will be just as safe.

I then like to boost the dome temp at the end for a quick crisp on the outside.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    If you don't have a raised grid you can pick up a "Leg and Wing rack" that holds the legs (or wings) vertically and will raise them up a little. I haven't used one of these but they look like a handy gadget. I just checked Lowes in my area and it looks like they have them. Just search "Leg and Wing rack" at lowes.com if interested.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Snickers, I like Ripnem suggestion. I grill my chicken high in the dome at 400F dome. I also, like my leg quarters cooked to 200F internal temp. Like gdenby has said they are done at 165F but, I like the texture of the leg quarters better when cooked to 200F IT. It's what ever works for you.

When grilling using a raised grid that is grilling a certain distance from the burning lump. Soooo if you don't have a raised grid setup consider using less lump burning in your egg. Also, if you have a second food grid simply put the first grid on the fire ring than wrap a couple bricks with foil and set them on the grid then place your second grid on that...have fun! Tim :)