Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nomex Gasket Install?

Options
frankie482
frankie482 Posts: 263
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a Nomex gasket off of Ebay that has the adhesive strip already on the back.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180637512805&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The picture shows gray but mine is white - dont know why.

The question is - should I still use 3M adhesive too?

Thanks!!

Comments

• TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Options
    If you have the 3m, it won't hurt to use it.

Just my $.02...

T
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I've had a nomex gasket since the Eggtoberfest last October....I should get around to installing it, huh?

I know Fred Bernardo (Smokingguitarplayer) had a video posted about HOW to do it. It might have tips about the 3m, I don't remember.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    frankie482, I don't know what you should do with your nomex with adhesive already applied to it. Maybe it will work just fine.

I put a nomex gasket on my large around a year ago. Mine didn't come with an adhesive on it just plane. I did however have to place mine in a cloths dryer and shrink it before applying to my egg. I then used the super 77 adhesive and it's still doing fine today.

Good luck with yours. :)

One other thing I do have a second large that hasn't had a gasket in a long time. It has also worked just fine. :)
  • frankie482
    Options
    NibbleMeThis wrote:
    I've had a nomex gasket since the Eggtoberfest last October....I should get around to installing it, huh?

I know Fred Bernardo (Smokingguitarplayer) had a video posted about HOW to do it. It might have tips about the 3m, I don't remember.

I watched the video and he pre shrunk and used 3M, but the one he installed did not have the adhesive already applied to the back.
  • frankie482
    Options
    Thanks for all the info.

I will preshrink and use the adhesive.

If it doesnt work, I'll do it again.