Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

One wild turkey ride thanks everyone

Options
2Fategghead
2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First off special thanks to my betters.

Mad Max and WessB

And the help I reached out for on this post. Thanks everyone. ;) Stike, thirdeye, Little Steven, Little Chef and Fidel. Big thanks guys! ;)

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1077825&catid=1

Here is the infamous wild turkey I've been talking about. I don't know how much it weighed but my guess would be 10 to 15 pounds.

100_3460.jpg

I decided to brine this bird for more moisture and add some flavor. I used kosher salt and canning and pickling salt and brown sugar and Richards Indian River Spice Blend.

100_3468.jpg

I cut the back bone out of the bird. My Kitchen shears had a hard time going through it so I broke out the boning knife. I also, cut the leg quarters off.

100_3461.jpg

After the brine cooled I injected it everywhere I could.

100_3463.jpg

100_3462.jpg

Sadly the brine was only overnight. I would have liked to go several days. I did take the bird out of the brine and soaked for an hour in fresh water then patted dry and the rub again from Richard. Indian River Rainbow Pepper. Thanks again Richard.

100_3475.jpg

Now on the egg at 250F with a drip pan but as it turned out not much dripped out.

100_3476.jpg

Now here is the kicker and I may have learned from this small issue. At the two hour mark the breast was at 152F IT and set for 155F IT and the leg quarters were at 145F IT set for 165F IT they didn't budge for a total of 3.5 hours. I called a friend and we decided to tent the bird and raise the temp to 300F dome. In 30 min's everything come to temp. I have a feeling I should have done that 2 hours earlier and maybe even cook at the 300F mark or in that area. Live and learn. My last wild bird was nothing like this one as far as cooking time and done time.

Now I admit I was worried I was making jerk but, It was nice and juicy in the inside. ;) :P

100_3479.jpg

After the breasts cooled down I easily peeled the meat off the bone and sliced them up. We nibbled on a few pieces and thought the meat was very good.

I did have a turn in dead line dead line so I will hand it over to a friend on Saturday morning for an Easter Sunday meal with their family.

If I was to do it over again I would do like the others suggested to do and that was a strong salt brine like Stike and Little Chef said. Fidel was right I never tasted the salt in the finished breast. I would add more spices and throw in the pantry Like Little Steven and Fidel said. Also, thanks to thirdeyes blog there is a lot of experience there. I did especially like the brining and injecting of the bring. This time there was a lot more flavor in the breast and I think there could be more if I worked at it. ;)

100_3481.jpg

100_3480.jpg

All in all we made one gallon ziploc full of sliced breast meat and the other bag had the leg quarters and the wish bone. Thanks for looking. :)

100_3482.jpg

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    looks good to me :) Is this a Easter bird?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Nice photos - I've never had wild turkey (though I have enjoyed my share of Wild Turkey) :ohmy:

How in the world could you spend all that time, nibble a few bites, and then give it all away??? I would have to have at least one sandwich.... :P
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Hey Scott, Thanks. Yes my friends family Easter cook courtesy of 2Fat. ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Hey Elizabeth, Thanks. I too have had my share of Wild Turkey but most of it I don't remember. Happily that was many years ago.

Believe it or not I haven't had much wild turkey. This was my second wild turkey cook and both times I did good and the meat keep getting better. I have a lot to learn but, I learn from this forum and give when I can. ;) This cook came off the egg just after supper plus I think the meat tastes better after the second day. :P
  • OconeeDawg
    OconeeDawg Posts: 149
    Options
    Did you kill the Turkey? If so you did a good job cleaning him. We usually just cut the breast out and throw the rest away.
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Hi Tim! Nice, informative post. Turkey season opens in May in PA and I'm hoping to shoot one of those myself. I always just cooked the breast before, but I'll try brining the whole bird if I get one.
    Brian
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Hey Brian, While your brining go ahead and inject it everywhere using the the solution it's soaking in.

As you seen my bird was skinless I think I should have tented sooner because the outside was getting a tough layer. I sliced up the breast meat but left the leg quarters whole. I'm not sure the leg quarters are worth it but, there is some meat there.

Good luck hunting and cooking. ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    No I got the bird from my brother in laws employer and it was his son's kill. Your right they just riped the skin off and cleaned out the innards. I'm just the cook. :)