Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone have any ideas for these tbones!

OconeeDawg
OconeeDawg Posts: 149
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Steak.jpg [img size=150][/img]

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Yeah, send them over. B)
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    What ideas are you looking for? Seasoning, method, or both?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Sear,rest,season,roast.Pull at 125-130 internal temp,rest for 10-15 minutes,enjoy. :)
  • OconeeDawg
    I am going to try the reverse sear, but this time use the Plate Setter to help keep the temp around 275 until 100 then going to take plate setter out and put cast iron grate on and get done to about 400 and do the reverse sear untill around 120 to 125 internal!!!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I did a reverse sear with bone in ribeyes not too long ago and I really enjoyed them. I did it mainly just because I was cookin other stuff and it just seemed easier timing wise.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1075226&catid=1

I'm sure they will be great either way. I'm checking google maps now to see how long it will take me to get to your house for dinner ;).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Seems sort of complicated. Are you going to get the meat to 100, and then remove the plateseter, and continue direct until the dome reaches 400, and then cool the Egg and return the steaks till they are 120+ internal?

If so, I'd expect the steaks to get somewhat burnt on the outside while the Egg reaches 400 dome. Off hand, I'd expect at least 7 minutes to come to 400 from 275, which exposes the meat to lots of direct IR. And during the Egg cool down, they would be shedding moisture. I'd be inclined to go with a more traditional method, and bring the Egg to full searing temp, and proceed as usual.

Oh, and what Morro Bay Rich means when he says "Send them over" that would be to me :P
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Rich,

Priceless B)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• OconeeDawg
    I am going to take the steaks off to let them rest while egg is getting up to temp. Taking the plate setter off so shouldn't take long to get it up to temp. I will let you know. Just an experiment.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I also think you are making this way to complicated.
    I know we all talk about cooking to temp not time, searing then roasting, blah, blah blah, but with a steak that size I get a nice hot fire w/ my CI grid on direct, cook four minutes on one side, flip, cook 4 minutes on the other, and eat! Been doing it that way for thirty or forty years or on all different kinds of grills, open fires, whatever, and it works every time :)
    Don't overthink it, it isn't brain surgery! :P !
  • OconeeDawg
    I have found that cooking a thick steak at high temp to get the middle done it Burns the rub and leaves a bitter crust. I use raising the steaks and a little extra salt and pepper so no sugar is in the rub but still get a bitter taste. I have done the hot tub method and it works great. Now I just want to try cooking it at a lower temp first. I will let ya know how it works out.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Them's more like bone in strips

I would hot tub or Trex. But you've already eaten them by now, so my opinion means nuthin :laugh: :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • OconeeDawg
    Your opinion is always welcome. Going to cook them Sunday night.
  • stike
    Ah.
    Let them sit from now til then unwrapped on a rack over a cookie sheet. They'll dry at the surface, give you a nice brown crust

Then let them warm up a couple hours on the counter, salt only. Sear and add pepper

Or Trex. Or hot tub

How are you gonna have an appetite Sunday night?
  • stike
    They really aren't thick enough for that

Just let them warm through before searing. All of the methods here are intent on warming the core before searing. Any will work
  • OconeeDawg
    We eat with my wife's family for lunch and mine around 5 so we are going to share a steak. It is like this for every holiday miserable by the end of the day. Those steaks are almost 2in thick can't tell by the pic
  • stike
    Thick steaks. All the more reason to warm/tub/trex
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I am ashamed! :blush: In my first reply I left out the most important step.Hot Tub em for an hour or so in a 100-110 degree waterbath for an hour or two,ziploc or foodsaver will work.Then follow other instructions.Dadgum Moonshine! :laugh: :)