Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

granite piastra on sale at Sur La Table

Options
Hungry Celeste
Hungry Celeste Posts: 534
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In case anyone's interested, the granite piastra (flat cooking surface used atop a grill) is on sale for $40 at Sur La Table (it's a Copco/Mario Batali product). I bought one, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. It may not be available on the web, but I saw multiple stones in my local store.

Comments

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    I bought one of these a while back and it cracked the first time I used it.
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    That certainly sucks. Did you return it for a new one and try again? I am interested in its performance as a pizza/piadina cooking surface. The non-porous nature of the granite is distinct from the porous, lighter-weight pizza stone--I'm looking forward to a comparison. Sure wish I could get my hands on a soapstone slab, too. (well, I can, but I'm too cheap to pay shipping)
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Didn't return it. Think I paid $50 for it at amazon. Bad investment on my part.
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    I cracked at least two pizza stones (no-name brand and pampered chef) in my oven before I ponied up the $$ for a Williams-Sonoma one: it has a lifetime guarantee. I haven't needed to use the guarantee yet...
  • smokeybreeze
    Options
    Uhhmmm, granite is very porous, and much more fragile than the ceramic blend pizza stones. My recommendation is to stay away from granite as a cooking surface.

If you want a high quality pizza stone, stay away from the pampered chef, the commodity boxed sets, and go to quality 1/2" thick or thicker stones. I haven't seen the Williams Sonoma stones, I currently have a BGE pizza stone, but will be ordering a stone or two from this site http://www.bakingstone.com/order.php - they're 3/4" thick and they can cut them to custom sizes for an additional $10.

You can make a custom 'brick' oven out of your household oven for a couple hundred bucks or less...
  • fiercetimbo17
    Options
    Looked it up on amazon, just about every other person had theirs break. Some of them had the stone replaced under warranty and had the same issue