Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what do you guys use?

Options
madmike
madmike Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
To protect a cedar table??I made one for my small last night and just wondering what you all use ? I know it's cedar and don't need a finish but I don't really care for the weathered look of cedar. :pinch:

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I use a marine grade urethane spar varnish. I have said this so many times that people may think I work for the company, but I do not, I only know it is good stuff. I'm talking about Min-Wax brand "Helmsman Spar Varnish". It is available in most hardwares and big box stores for about $15/qt, and comes in gloss, semi-gloss, satin [my favorite]. etc.
    Three coats, sanding between coats with 220 or finer grit will give a great finish that will last for quite a while, depending on exposure to sun and weather. It gives far better UV protection than a standard grade urethane and is only a buck or two higher in price.
    When you do need to recoat a little sanding and a top coat is usually all that is necessary :) One of my tables is starting into its third summer in the Ohio valley and needs only the top redone.
  • madmike
    madmike Posts: 103
    Options
    doesn't it get flaky?
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Options
    This is a good question as I sit here trying to determine which type of wood to use. I priced out building my table with Red Oak. Even with the 10% off sale the local lumber supplier is having, it still topped out over $400.00. I'd hate to drop 4bills and hours of my time, only to have it ruined. After reading a bunch, and coming from the air plane world, the spar varnish was going to be my choice.

Regarding which wood - Maybe I should head over to the table forum and see what kinds of woods are being used. Cedar seems like a viable option. Though, the oak would be reallllly nice.

Ted
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    It's going to get weathered, black and gunky no matter what.
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    No, it will not get flaky. Old type varnish made from resins gets flaky, urethane does not and marine grade gives excellent protection. The actual life you will get from it will vary considerably due to exposure.
    This table is now over two years old, it is covered but still outside in winter while we are in Florida, it will be uncovered during the hot summer months and stay that way until January. As I said before, all it needs is a light sanding and a coat of varnish on the top, although I will probably do the whole thing.
    4835835298_ff2644b2b8.jpg
    P4060003 by Capt Frank1, on Flickr
    By the way, this one, as well as my other three tables [two in FL, two in Cincinnati} are all made from cypress. Cypress is not available everywhere, but if you can find it, it is an excellent choice :)
    Phil, the first table I built I let someone talk me into using a high grade wood sealer instead of varnish That one is black and gunky. The sealer keeps out moisture but not dirt and grit and it is slowly weathering to gray.
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Options
    Capt Frank is spot on about cypress for longevity to all types of exposure. All of my new beehive material is cypress and they are always outside. (can't understand why my wife doesn't want them inside...)Nice table, Randy
  • TRPIV
    Options
    Any idea on price of cypress vs red oak?

Maybe I should just call my local hardwood supplier. :laugh:
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Options
    Yes, that would be a good idea since I have found the farther away from the harvesting source the more expensive, if you want I can find out what it is around here, just let me know. Randy
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    Cypress is very reasonable, about the same as pine, especially if you are in the south. It works very much like pine also. You won't find it in Big Box stores though, go to local lumber yards.
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    Spar varnish is the way to go; my preferred brand is Interlux. If it's good enough for the deck of my boat, it should suffice for a table.

RE: wood, see if you can get your hands on some Spanish cedar (aka cigar-box wood). It has similar properties to cypress--quite insect & rot resistant. Way cheaper than red oak, and easier to work, too. It is a darker reddish brown, almost like a cherry or blond mahogany. Here's a pic of Spanish cedar finished w/Interlux spar varnish (just ignore the sandwich).
    p3200022.jpg
  • TRPIV
    Options
    Southern Lumber here in San Jose, California has pretty much any wood you can think of, they even carry a regular stock of Ebony. Talk about expensive!?

I'll take a longer lunch and head over there today.

Thanks for the ideas (and sorry to hijack the original thread...) :S
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    Well, if price is no object, then get a quote for a table made of ipe. I understand that oil-finished ipe is hard to beat for durability. In fact, if you don't like a shiny varnish finish and your table is mostly out of the elements, you should consider a penetrating oil finish--the kind intended for floors, not furniture. Low luster oil finished floors are popular in Scandinavia, but for some reason, Americans like "shiny". Hand-rubbed oil is easy to apply, durable as hell, and it feels great to the touch. Minwax sells an "Antique Oil" finish that's pretty darn good; it comes in a red & black can. I use it on furniture--and I even used it on an antique cypress bathroom door subject to high humidity. 2 years later, the door looks great
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    been scraping spar varnish off my boat for just about 20 years now, its almost all grey now :laugh: my rocker hit 7 years this spring, there is a little green showing in the grey weathered teak, might just rub it down with a little bleach and water this year B) im glad i like the weathered grey look :laugh: theres something out there now called teakguard, looks similar to a spar varnish finish, water based, goes on quick and easy, supposed to hold up, i havent actually seen the stuff but have heard about it being pretty good for marine use. anyways, ive had a lot of beers in my grey weathered chair :laugh:

2004_0311_112850.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    TRPIV wrote:
    I'd hate to drop 4bills and hours of my time, only to have it ruined.

I was also looking to build a wooden table last summer and ended up finding this one for $500.00 + $60.00 shipping. No finish needed. ;)

Mike

IMG_1297.jpg

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE