Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork for a Group

Options
probe1957
probe1957 Posts: 222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Greetings all.

In 3 weeks, the wife and I will be hosting a family reunion. As of now, we have 29 guests confirmed. I would expect the final number to be close to that.

While I have smoked pork butt many times, I have never cooked for this size of group. I have a couple of questions for you good people.

How much meat should I cook? Would one pound per person be adequate? I am the type who would prefer to have too much food rather than too little. I also intend to smoke a turkey breast just in case we have a commie who doesn't like pulled pork. :)

I am thinking along the lines of 4 7-8 pound butts. I don't think those will fit on my large Egg all at the same time. To further complicate things, I would like to prepare the butts ahead of time simply because of the schedule and I can't have hungry people hanging around waiting for my pork to finish smoking. I have had that happen before, where I under estimated how long the meat was going to take to smoke and would really like to avoid that this time.

Should I smoke and pull the pork, then freeze it and heat it up? That is my wife's idea. Although we have frozen and eaten left over butt before, and it is good, I am just wondering if there is a better way.

Advice please?

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I have done 6 butts of that size on a large going with 3 each on two levels. I think 2 butts will be enough for 29 people but leftovers are always nice. Here is a shot of 4 butts on one level, they are stood up on the narrow ends. You can pull the pork and put it in ziplocks in the fridge for a couple days and reheat by putting the bags in simmering water. -RP

IMG_0405Small.jpg
  • probe1957
    Options
    Excellent suggestion. So you think 1/2 lb per person would be enough? That is part of what I am having trouble getting my head around. While I don't mind leftovers at all, I really don't want 15 lbs of leftovers.
  • chrono
    chrono Posts: 177
    Options
    Do 3 butts and you'll have more then enough plus leftovers for an army. What I usually do for parties is a night smoke. Get the butts on at midnight then they should be done in the morning. Wrap the butts in foil then towels. Put them in a cooler. They should be hot for 4+ hours. I typically will pull the butts 2 hours or so ahead of the party then just stick the shredded pork in a pan, cover with foil and keep it on warm in the oven. This works very well for me so you don't have hungry guests waiting and an angry wife :laugh:
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I would guess just to be safe go between 2/3's and 3/4's of a pound uncooked per person. That should yield about a half pound per person unless you are expecting a large amount of teenagers. ;)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    The Naked Whiz has a FAQ section that answers how much pork.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#howmuchmeat

You can figure 2.4 servings per pound of raw meat.

There is a lot of good information on the site.
  • probe1957
    Options
    And since we're posting pictures and if I am smart enough to do it...

Okay I am not smart enough.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/probe1957/4238894211/
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    An egger who used to cook for the troops used the formula below. For those into details, I have put them. For those who just want a simple answer I put that too.

First the caveat to the calculation:

Older folks will eat less, younger people eat more. The number of side dishes will either increase or decrease this amount. It is always smart to add an extra 20% of uncooked product into the end result, especially if you would like to have some leftover pork for other meals.

The long calculation:

(# of portions[i.e. people]) * (1 cooked pound/3 portions) * (1 uncooked pound/(1 - 0.4) cooked pound[i.e. due to the 40 % of mass lost by the raw pork when cooked due to fat and collagen rendering and water loss]) = # of raw pounds of pork needed.

Note, this assumes 1/3 of a pound per person (i.e. 1 cooked pound/3 portions).

To simplify:

# of people * (1/3) * 1/(1-0.4) = # of raw pounds
    # of people * (1/3) * 1/(1-2/5) = # of raw pounds
    # of people * (1/3) * 1/(3/5) = # of raw pounds
    # of people * (1/3) * 5/3 = # of raw pounds
    # of people * 5/9 = # of raw pounds
    # of people * 0.56 = # of raw pounds

OR

For those that have a lot of pork already and want to know how many people it will feed.

# of people * 5/9 = # of raw pounds
    # of people * 5/9 * 9/5 = # of raw pounds *9/5
    # of people = # of raw pounds *9/5
    # of raw pounds * 9/5 = # of people
    # of raw pounds * 1.8 = # of people

To summarize:

If you assume a half of a cooked pound per person, the equations are:

# of raw pounds * 1.2 = # of people
    # of people * 0.83 = # of raw pounds

If you assume a third of a cooked pound per person, which is recommended. The equations are:

# of raw pounds * 1.8 = # of people
    # of people * 0.56 = # of raw pounds

If you assume a quarter of a cooked pound per person, the equations are:

# of raw pounds * 2.4 = # of people
    # of people * 0.42 = # of raw pounds
  • duffer
    duffer Posts: 22
    Options
    I cooked for 25 guys at the skeet club. Had 19 pounds of bone in shoulders at 250 for 10 hours. Used rub (green egg) on the shoulders 24 hours before cooking.

Use a lot of hickory and apple smoke.

Pulled in the morning. Made four sauces: a Viniger based, two tomoato based with bourbon and rum. The fourth was a KC based sauce. Let the people use any sauce they want, do not put on the meat. Do not freze keep in frig before serving and then reheat on the egg in pans with Guiness as a liquid.

Loved it and it was ALL gone.

Good luck
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    There is a formula some use to determine how much raw meat is needed to yield a certain number of servings.A serving is 4 ounces ,which is a decent sandwich.Keep in mind this is for "SERVINGS",not number of guests.Divide the number of servings you wish to serve by 2.4.

Normaly I figure 1 serving per woman or child.
    2 servings per adult male.
    Teenage boys HA! :woohoo: 3-4 servings! :laugh:

45 'servings' % 2.4 = 18.75 pounds of uncooked pork.
    If I were in your circumstance,I would cook 3, 7-8 pound butts.Good Luck! :)
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I'm assuming you are serving other main dishes not just the pork...if so maybe figure 1/3 lb each.

If you don't have a 2nd rack you can squeeze the 4 on one rack standing on their side. They will touch for awhile and this may lengthen the cook time slightly...they will shrink and will pull away from each other...
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Options
    lots of good advice but I would definitely try to do the butts a couple of days ahead. (you can enjoy your guests more & have had butts go a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOG time) You can smoke the turkey the day for the smell wow & throw some onions on after, everyone will be starving :) HAVE FUN!
  • probe1957
    Options
    Susan Egglaine wrote:
    lots of good advice but I would definitely try to do the butts a couple of days ahead. (you can enjoy your guests more & have had butts go a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOG time) You can smoke the turkey the day for the smell wow & throw some onions on after, everyone will be starving :) HAVE FUN!

That is the reason I am motivated to do them ahead of time. I smoke at around 225 degrees. It usually takes around 21 hours to smoke a butt. But if I plan on 21, it will take 24. Such is my life.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.
  • AZRP
    Options
    Cook the butts with your dome temp at 250, I think you will like the results better. Shorter cook time and less chance of your fire going out. -RP
  • probe1957
    Options
    AZRP wrote:
    Cook the butts with your dome temp at 250, I think you will like the results better. Shorter cook time and less chance of your fire going out. -RP

You know, maybe I will try that. I have been reluctant to change my method, which involves a dome temp of 210-225 because my butts turn out so fantastic. But it does take a long time to cook.

The recipe I have calls for a dome temp of 195 deg. I can't keep my temp that low without the fire going out. I have never had a fire go out at 210+ though.
  • AZRP
    Options
    Trust me, try it, you will like it. -RP
  • probe1957
    Options
    Okay, the deal is done. We had 30 people show on Sunday. I had smoked 25 lbs of butt for a little over 25 hours. 2 on the grid, 2 on an extender. Went over GREAT. A little left over. 3 butts would probably have been enough.

Thanks for all your help.