Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best of the West Lump at Sams

fdxegger
fdxegger Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sam's Club has 40lb bags of Best of the West for $17.00 here in the Austin area. That's a pretty good deal compared to what I have been paying at HEB for Cowboy lump. I have used BOTW before and the only thing I remember about it is a strong mesquite odor.

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I really like the Cowboy lump, myself. Get it here in Oregon for about $11.00/ 20 lb. bag.
    Always looking for it on sale.
    Jaydub
    B)
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • I went through 3-4 bags before I gave up on it because it sparks so much. Pretty tough to pass up at $14.27/40# bag. Corpus Christi Sam's 6 months ago.

Never light with a torch in your shorts, crocs, or without eye protection and expect a few burn holes in your shirts. Other than that it pretty good stuff. B)

May give it another try since I went back to lighting with oiled paper towels.
  • Bigjohn
    Bigjohn Posts: 144
    I'm using some now. Sparking, like Frank said, is the problem. I've been using my torch with long gloves and still get sparks on my arm. It seems to burn OK after it is ignited though. Sure can't beat the price.
  • You guys may want to check this out and compare the 2 brands mentioned.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag

Both of those brands are bottom of the bucket and there is MUCH better lump out there.
    Always remember you get what you pay for. Are you buying a cheap cooker, meat cuts, etc? Why buy cheap lump?
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I light with a MAPP torch also. I use RO lump pretty much exclusively. I find that NEW lump will spark, no matter what. I have no scientific evidence but I am sure this is due to the dust and impurities present in new lump [either or both].
    I always put a layer of used lump on top before lighting, problem solved! :)
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    I bought a bag to try and I did not like it. It sparks and the taste was too strong. When I opened the bag there were several pieces of logs the biggest was 6 to 7 inches in diameter and a foot long. I have been using it up doing clean burns.
  • chrono
    chrono Posts: 177
    I just bought some for 14.95 at my local Sams. Will be trying it this weekend. Hopefully my welders gloves are enough not to get burnt!
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    That is because it is MESQUITE. Best of the West also has Oak Lump. Have to look for it.