Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got 3 potential eggers on the line... :)

Options
AnnaG
AnnaG Posts: 1,104
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
One is my Uncle, he would like to start with the XL and the fancy table, etc. I am advising him to start with the large. Let me know if I am advising him wrong.

My co-worker has 2 daughters and would like to get them eggs for Christmas. Again, I am advising large eggs (to start with). They live in two different parts of the US, so I will seek out dealers when it gets closer to Christmas. They will need to be assembled, delivered and a little helpful advice thrown in. I know one is in the Fairfax, VA area, the other I am not sure...

Again..., I want to make sure I am advising the correct size and for all three potential eggers, what are the top things that you must have to start out with.

My thoughts are egg, lump, ash tool, therma-pen and healthy appetite.

Thanks for your help... :)
...AnnaG...

Comments

• Turk
    Turk Posts: 114
    Options
    I would add the adjustable rig combo from the ceramic grill store for indirect. I like it better than the pate setter.
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    sounds like youve got them going in the right direction Anna, I would add a spider and stone or platesetter, something for indirect
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    As much as I love my thermapen I think of it more as a luxury than a necessity. I would substitute a remote thermometer to monitor internal temps instead of the thermapen. Of course, both would be better!

As mentioned, I would also include a plate setter or similar device to cook indirect.

When I bought a Large as a gift I included a plate setter, ash tool, remote therm, and two types of woods (hickory and cherry for strong and mild). My Egg store automatically includes assembly (delivery extra), bag of lump, and firestarters with every sale.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Grilldog
    Grilldog Posts: 21
    Options
    Well, large vs XL, how many people are they cooking for and how much meat do they typically want to grill. That's the important question. Large, XL, experienced, inexperienced doesn't really matter. The important question is, the quantity of meat they are putting on the grill.

Basically, the only things you need at first are the Grill and a plate setter or some other indirect cooking device (I'm only familiar with the plate setter, which I love... All of my recipes in my book Grilldog's Guides to Food, Fun and Friends are based on the principles of indirect cooking and everything I've done on the BGE with the plate setter has been so much better then with other grills). I like the wooden tables, they make the egg more secure than the nest and you can move the grill around easier than the nest without worry of toppling over.

Some suggestions on where to buy the grill. Do me a favor and DO NOT buy from BBQs Galore. Shop around and get your best price. If you bought at BBQs Galore and paid their asking price, you were, well. taken for a ride. They work on a Quota Sales Commission and utilize the old "Used Car Sales" tactics to sell their grills. Let me explain. If you go into the store at the beginning of the month, you'll have to pay full price. However, if you go to the stores at the end of a slow month (say August or Jan), AND the store has the BGE in stock (that's important because the stores only get commission on product that "goes out the door", you can get at least 10% off the Egg and ALL accessories, even if the accessories are not in stock. One important NOTE anyone that sells the BGE will match price. You get a written quote from an authorized dealer from Hoboken, New Jersey, I can pretty much assure you that the dudes in Austin, TEXAS will honor it.

Also DO NOT buy your BGE at eBay or something like that. BGE won't validate the life time warranty. They only do that for the original owner. Just shop around and remember, most places that sell the BGE will negotiate, don't settle for less then FREE assembly (for the large egg, the XL is much more complicated) Free Delivery (if they use a service, tell the store manager that if there's a sales rep with a pick up that would deliver it you'd slip the driver a 20, I'm sure that's better then the 100+ they'd charge for delivery. Just remember, this is IF they use a service. If they don't use a service and it's at the end of a slow month you should be able to get free delivery.

If you really want the BGE and they won't negotiate the price, at least settle for 15% off all accessories, including coal, that you'll get with the purchase. I'm here for ya. The BGE Rocks and is the best grill, smoker and Oven for your home use!
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Options
    Nature Boy is opening a store in the Fairfax area soon, he will give you good advice and treat you right ;)
  • beerguy
    beerguy Posts: 116
    Options
    My first and only BGE was (and is) the XL. Due to the wealth of information available on this forum I fired it up the first day to make some great burgers and have enjoyed every meal I have ever made on it. I don't see how cooking on the XL is any different than the other sizes. I love having the 24" diameter cooking surface!
  • AnnaG
    Options
    Thanks for that info Susan... These folks no nothing, so Nature Boy would be purrfect to help them. :)
  • AnnaG
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I will pass this on... :)