Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked a stew to long Help!

Turk
Turk Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did a beef stew tonight. All went well and it looked good. I smoked it with apple way to long. Problem: I should have put the lid on the CI long before I did. The question for the veterans is how long should a stew be allowed to receive smoke to get a nice hint of smoke?
The smoke on my stew was too strong.

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Question is time and also how much wood you use. I find it better with lump only, it still picks up the flavor of the grill
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    It's easy to over smoke a stew, a pot of beans, chili and that kind of stuff. Some ingredients are a real sponge for smoke, tomatoes and summer squash are two that come to mind, so you have to be careful if those are in your stew.

Dutch ovens are really nice to cook in, but when the lid is off you're not getting the full benefit of the pot, and even though you are letting smoke flavor in, you may wind up reducing the reduce the liquid faster than you want to, or over-smoking it like you did. One approach is to smoke your stew meat first. You can also smoke your tomatoes first too, then add all the ingredients and cook the stew with the lid on.

7edad02b.jpg

DSC09028a.jpg

DSC00096aa.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    I absolutely love beef stew from the egg. I hide a couple of hickory chunks in the lump.

I only leave the DO lid off for 1-2 hours, after that the lid is cocked to the side. Never had any complaints about too much smoke, which is the first thing my Mom would complain about. HTH... :)
  • Turk
    Turk Posts: 114
    Thanks poolman & thirdeye
  • Turk: I am with Thirdeye here... Really no need to add additonal smoke if the meat is exposed to the smoke int he beginning. It is a learning process. Practice will make perfect! Keep on Egging dude! Been at it for many years, and still learn something every day from this group.
  • Such a simple idea, but I had never thought of that. Thanks for the tip.