Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indirect Cooking of Ribs?? (newbie)

JW
JW Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,[p]I am attempting to cook 2 racks of Costco baby backs on a large Egg. I am just learning to cook with the Egg and BBQ in general. I would like to cook them indirect. [p]1) I don't have a grid extender but was wondering if the following would work. Weber 18 1/2 grate above the firebox. Pizza Stone on top of that grate Drip pan on the pizza stone. Main grate on top with ribs on it. [p]2) Does the drip pan have to have water in it or some other special setup? [p]3) Cook Time and Temp for the ribs. From reading some earlier posts it would appear dome temp 325-350 for around 3 hours.[p]Thanks, Jim[p]
3)

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    05_02_0017_06_01.jpg
    <p />JW, the link is to the way that I cook baby backs - I have always had excellant results. The link contains both pictures and times. Last time I skipped the foil and they also turned out great. I have a tendancy to cook at lower temps - the results (as you can see from the pictures) is a crunchy outside and a very tender inside.[p]While I use firebricks, the setup you are describing should work great. Ribs are one of my favorites. Good luck!

[ul][li]Indirect/direct Ribs[/ul]
  • JW
    Gfw,[p]I just tried to put the lower grate in and it is too small to reach the firebox. [p]In those pictures you linked to, is it the normal grate that comes with the egg a few fire bricks and another same size grate on top of that?? If the top grate is different what is the size. I have to run to the BBQ store today to find the right size.[p]Thanks, Jim

• Gfw
    JW, I don't move the original grate from it's normal everday position - the other stuff (technical terminology) goes on top of the main grate - so the size of your 2nd grate sitting on the drip pan shouldn't atter a whole lot as long as it is big enough to hold all the ribs.[p]What a wonderful day... suppose to be sunny and 75 in Peoria - it's starting to be perfect!

• JW
    Gfw,[p]Makes sense now. I'll go out to the store later today. [p]Weather in Southern California: Sunny with highs upto 85. Beautiful![p]Thanks for the help.[p]JW
  • JW,[p] Good luck and thanks for the inquiry... I just got by BGE and am heading for the store for ribs. Going to use yours and the others suggestions.
    And, by the way, its going to be a stunner here in New Jersey... 'bout 72 and sunny. I'll have a cold one later this afternoon in your honor!
    EJM[p]

• Gfw
    MyBge_small.jpg
    <p />EJM, welcome to the world of the BGE. [p]Just one thing to remember... The best ribs that you've ever had will be the ribs that you are making now. The very best ones will be the ones that you make next.[p]The fun is in the search, not the conquest![p]