Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Sanity Check

StratoEgg
StratoEgg Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Fellow Eggers,

Pulled Pork done 5 hrs early. Woke up this morning to it being almost done. This one cooked really fast.

My thoughts are to shred it this morning, then put it a crock pot on warm until ready to serve or bag it and rewarm it up this afternoon...thoughts?

Al

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    When do you want to serve it?
  • toquina
    toquina Posts: 94
    I have wrapped butts and shoulders in tinfoil and then a towel and put in a cooler, keeped hot for 3 hours. I am not sure how long it will stay hot but after 3 hours it was still hot. Hope this helps
  • StratoEgg
    In about 8 hrs or 5pm central time. Just pulled and wrapped it in a cooler.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    When I have had "turbo-butts," when taken from the Egg at 195-ish, double wrapped in foil then snuggled next to bottles of hot water under towels in a cooler, they were 160+ after 5 hours. The only down side was that some of the partially rendered fat settled at the bottom of the foil pouches. So, if your pork is still quite hot, I'd be confident that you would still have steaming warm pork to pull in mid-aftrnoon.
  • StratoEgg
    Thanks, Mr. 12+lb Turbo Butt was purchased at a local butcher instead of Sam's, so normally it takes 2 hrs per lb, so he was of the 1.5 variety. I was expecting done 2 hrs prior, wrap till ready to serve, the usual 3hrs or so.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

That would work fine. If it were me I would wrap it well in HD Aluminum Foil, then get a blanket and wrap the butt well in the big blanket. Your butt should stay hot for a least 4 hours and maybe 6 hours. Then remove and pull.

If you have it wrapped well you can leave it on the counter or put it in the oven or even a cooler.

Putting a foiled piece of meat in an empty cooler will take heat away from the meat to heat the the cooler until the two equalize in temperature. Wrapping the meat in a lot of towels or a blanket will keep the heat inside the meat.

GG
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Double wrap it in aluminum foil and wrap in an old towel and toss it in an old cooler. Leave it there for now. About noon stick it in a preheated 170* oven (still wrapped in foil) until 2PM. After Then back in the cooler and pull when ready.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

'just in a cooler' won't work well. Hopefully you didn't 'pull/shred' the pork.

By the time you serve, 8 hours, I think you are going to find it a bit dry, good but dry.

If you find it dry have some bbq sauce ready to mix. You can also add coke, start with 6oz then move up to 12oz as needed while reheating. You won't taste the coke. Don't use diet coke. Some folks will use Dr. Pepper (not diet).

I am not sure why no diet. I have only used coke but it works well. BBQ sauce works well also.

Add some coke and Sweet Baby Ray's.

I wanted a nice bbq sandwich for a bunch of teenagers.

barbacoa1.jpg

barbacoa2.jpg

Turned out fantastic.

GG
  • StratoEgg
    Thanks for the suggestions- double wrapped AF, towel and blanket in a Coleman Xtreme cooler. I will do the oven trick to go the extra mile. We should be good.

This late lunch early dinner is for a future egger and his family...he just doesn't know it!

Cheers,

Al
  • StratoEgg
    I like the sauce and coke idea. I am just trying hard not to dilute the goodness of strait pulled pork from the egg from one who hasn't had it before.

It is about to be a great day.

Al
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    I have never had a butt go 2 hrs per pound. It's always been 1.5 hours or less at 250. I can always get it done perfectly on time by increasing the temperature to 275 or so.
  • I've done the Crimsongator oven trick on numerous occasions.......at 170* warapped, the oven temp is actually below the target internal meat temp of 185*+. So, well wrapped and sealed, it really doesn't cook any further......the oven just keeps it in a holding status. But, as gator said.....don't forget the rest period. It'll be fine.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    I'm with Phil. I've cooked a lot of butts and with a bone-in butt at about 240-250* dome,, 1.5 hr per lb is just about right, unless one gets a turbo that goes even faster than that. :(
  • StratoEgg
    Thanks to all for the reply post. Another tool in the box.

Cheers,

Al