Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting Egged Tonight

Options
crkscrw
crkscrw Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey. Been lurking here for a while. Was ready to drop some large dollars (tax return dontcha know) on a new higher powered gasser when I had an epiphany...what I really wanted was an EGG. So, I got a deal on a medium (starting smallish) from a place in PA that a friend just happened to be going to and ...its coming tonight. I shoveled out the deck and have been playing with meat all afternoon to get ready for tomorrow...Wish me luck
crkscrw in Fredericksburg, VA

Comments

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    crkscrw,
    Welcome aboard. I hope you have pleanty of time on your hands as once this bug has bitten you there is no time for anything else. What is for dinner tomorrow night?

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • kilo
    kilo Posts: 77
    Options
    crkscrw,
    I have a nice Ducane gas grill that I used for a couple of years but was still frustrated(after spending a lot of $)that my food was fairly dry most of the time. I bought a large egg about 4 years ago and I haven't used my gas grill once since then and added a small egg this year. I many times cook the main course on the large and the side dishes (veggies, potatoes, etc.) on the small. Good luck!

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    kilo,
    I also have a Ducane that is now sitting by the wayside. It is a shame that Weber bought them out and did away with our warrantees.

• crkscrw
    Options
    Retired Railroader ,[p]Well, I have options. I have a good sized hunk o'sirloin and a chicken. Maybe I'll do both..or is that too ambitious? For sunday, I have a pork loin that I will marinate in a boatload of garlic, rosemary and olive oil.
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    crkscrw,
    Spatchcock chicken was a big hit in my house. Excellent meal and real easy to make as a first meal. Check out the Naked Whiz's web site for the details.

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm[/ul]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Retired Railroader,
    Well done! ;^)

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • LasVegasMac
    Options
    crkscrw, good choice on the cooking tool. You won't be disappointed.[p]Just a word of caution: for me the hardest thing was figuring out how to control the temp - vent openings, etc.
    Takes a bit of playing with to get comfortable with keeping temps low, running away to volcanic range, etc.[p]Lot's of help on this forum![p]Good luck - and enjoy the food![p]LVM

• crkscrw,
    I have a gas grill that I designed and built. I have a large open pit stainless steel grill and one large Egg.
    I haven't used anything other than the Egg in the past year. [p]Jerry

• LasVegasMac
    Options
    Jwirlwind, you said....[p]"I have a gas grill that I designed and built."[p]I would love to see some pic's, if ya have 'em.[p]All of my propane bottles have passed their expiration date, but still use the two big charcoal bubba's on occasion.[p]Anything that cook's is worth looking at - especially if you made it!![p]LVM