Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Melting pizza stone

Options
smokeystover
smokeystover Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Talked with someone today who said the Pampered Chef pizza stones, and also some others, can actually melt when you get them up to high pizza baking temperatures.

Has anyone seen this happen, and is there any way to tell if a pizza stone can handle the high temps or not?

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    They won't melt, kinda hard to melt ceramic.

That said they can explode. I have ruined two of my wifes Bed Bath and Beyond stones before I bought a stone rated for the egg. Save yourself some money and buy the right stone first.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    smokeystover: Never heard of one melting, but plenty have exploded! Get a stone from BGE or the Ceramic Grill Store, and you'll have no worries. Welcome to the cult...errr...I mean the Forum!!! :)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    My PC pizza stone busted into three pieces when I was bringing my egg up to temp. I saved the pieces and use them all the time while grilling I place one on the grid and bake a potato on it. I never heard of one melting. ;)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Not possible. Not unless they get the egg to temps that will melt ceramics :laugh:

They can break though
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • smokeystover
    Options
    Thanks for the reality check, folks.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Not a problem. ;)

It's free! :)

And you will get it if you want it or not. :woohoo:

I learn a lot from this forum. ;)

So welcome and keep coming back. :)
  • LinebackerU
    Options
    Those Pampered Chef pizza stones are the most overpriced pieces of crap you can buy. I hear more stories about those particular stones cracking than about any other kind of stone.
  • smokeystover
    Options
    Please don't hold it in. Tell us how you really feel about them. :laugh:

LinebackerU wrote:
    Those Pampered Chef pizza stones are the most overpriced pieces of crap you can buy. I hear more stories about those particular stones cracking than about any other kind of stone.
  • beaver53
    beaver53 Posts: 9
    Options
    Pampered Chef is good uo to 400 degrees. I broke mine in 3 pieces when it got to 600 degrees. Green egg stone is the way to go.
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    "The probability of a Pampered Chef pizza stone put to occasional use breaking into at least 3 pieces over a 2 year period equals 1" - SkySaw's law.

It's also a lot easier to get good results from the more massive BGE stone.

Mark
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Yea, well, I guess I'm the exception to the rule. I've got one well over 10 years old, used 2-3 times per month and never had a problem with it. It's used to make biscuits, cookies, pizzas, flatbreads, loaves, and lots of other stuff.
  • LinebackerU
    Options
    The funny thing is that my $15 generic Walmart stone has been fine for years in my oven. I cook on 550 with that all the time. I have a BGE stone for my Egg, though, as I wanted something thicker.

I have a co-worker who sings the praises of the Pampered Chef stone. He says, "it's great, because they will replace it if it ever cracks! I've had mine replaced three times, for free!"