Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig -- WTF with shipping costs?

sbmfj
sbmfj Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey,

Was about to order 3 bottles of Dizzy Pig (8 oz), and they want to charge 26.10$ to ship these 3 little bottles to Montreal, Canada. The bottles itself cost 26$. What the hell!?!?!? There is no way it can actually cost 26.10$ to ship 3 little bottles. Damn you Dizzy Pig!!!

Comments

• wkygriller
    wkygriller Posts: 408
    I have ordered several times from them and have never had an issue with shipping charges. Must be something to do with customs or something :(
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    I've never had a problem with their shipping cost and I'm not sure if shipping to Canada makes a difference. But shipping prices, because of fuel cost are starting to skyrocket.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    It sure as heck isn't the Pigs problem. I pay 35 bucks to ship boxes of smoking wood to folks that can't get it locally, up in canada. same box will ship to any state for $10.49 in a couple days and to get to someones home in Canada will take up to 3 weeks.

Don't blame the Pig. ;)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I don't recall what shipping method DP uses or what the size/weight of the final package would be, but I just took a quick (estimated) look at a couple of them to see what it would cost to ship from Virginia to Canada. You should try it before you start ranting.

I guess this means you won't be ordering any Blues Hog?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• achtungpv
    achtungpv Posts: 39
    Call em and see if anybody sells it in Canada and then call them and get it shipped within country.

Or, try Amazon. I know the entire set of Dizzy Pig rubs is available on there.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    I shipped a 4 and a half pound box to Ontario and it cost me 27 bucks. Yes, it's expensive to ship to our friends in Canada. :(
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    I'm convinced it has to do with weight. When I sell a certain lightweight "thing" to someone in Canada I can mail it for $1.99, but to send it here in the USA that same package costs anywhere from $4.95 to $5.25. Go figure that one! Only other difference is it takes nearly 3 weeks to arrive in Canada.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • sbmfj
    Good idea on checking Amazon. I realize shipping can cost more, but I have ordered sooo much stuff online over the years, theres no way it cost 26$ to order the 3 bottles. I just bought a bike frame and fork for the UK, and it cost 40$ to ship, got it in a week. The box is huge!

Anyhow, I have emailed DP, lets see what they say, worst case, Ill order them to a post office box in VT, and bring them back. No duty on food!!

all the best my egg friends!!
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    You ship "things" to Canada? :ermm: :blush:
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    If you can't find anyone in Montreal who carries DP, you could order from Ontario Gas BBQ:

http://www.bbqs.com/rubs-sauces-dizzy-c-16_58_176.html

Mark
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    :ohmy: research? wtf
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    FYI, from DP's website...

"Shipping rates will vary depending on your order weight and delivery destination. Before you enter payment information, you will see the actual shipping charges for your order on the Delivery Confirmation page. A one dollar handling fee is included in this charge, and covers packing materials. Otherwise the price you see is the same price we pay for shipping. We will calculate shipping charges for both USPS and UPS methods, and pre-select the delivery method with the lowest cost for you. You will, of course, have the flexibility of choosing the shipping method that's best for your needs."

Don't see how they could do any better than that.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    He'll be damning them next for their exorbitant prices. Sigh....
    The Naked Whiz
  • sbmfj
    just found the site, thanks soo much though!!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Had the same thing Brother. Sure wish all the good guys in Canada would move a little south :laugh:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Mickey wrote:
    Had the same thing Brother. Sure wish all the good guys in Canada would move a little south :laugh:

:whistle:
    context is important :)
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    shipping to canada sometimes sucks. I wish DP had more of a presence up here.. I know a local dealer tried to get the DP line up, but for whatever reason, they weren't able to.

Not sure why the shipping prices are so much higher than other places, maybe it's a volume thing

amazing how quickly someone gets lambasted.. WOW
    context is important :)
  • Let's just call it getting even for them not shipping La Bomba to the U.S. B)
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    LDD wrote:
    amazing how quickly someone gets lambasted.. WOW

Yeah. Shouldn't try to scare off all the new folks. Then again the title of the post was rather in your face. Especially for all the folks who rather like DP (like me) and the folks on this site who own that company.

Was he ordering directly from DP? There are many sites which sell it and DP still makes money. Try another site to see if shipping is cheaper anywhere else. Otherwise have a friend buy it and ship it for you.
  • Buckethead
    Buckethead Posts: 285
    WHY! we have enough just like him here already. Tired of complainers and quick to blame.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    I ship to Canada all the time and the options vary. My packages are in the 2 to 3 pound range and the First Class US Mail costs are from $8 to $13. Changing that to Priority Mail bumps it closer to $30.

UPS has a number of hidden charges so I don't even consider using them.

Why not send Chris an e-mail and ask for an explanation? He is a longtime highly respected Forum member, and a real ambassador to BBQ. He cooks on Eggs, and his cooking team is sponsored by BGE. I guarantee there is no price gouging going on in his business.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    sure do as well as Australia and the Netherlands too. Guess you can say I'm in an international cottage industry!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Not sure it is all that amazing when someone "damns" a highly respected business/person like Dizzy Pig without doing any checking first.
    The Naked Whiz
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    you'll get a little better rate being in the USA plus keep all the environmental and seasonal pleasures of the great white north.........

dang dropped this in the wrong place......
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,507
    I avoid UPS like a plague, they'll easily nail you with exorbitant customs clearance/brokerage fee as high as $30-$50 on top of shipping and other charges. I learned the hard way many years ago.

the web is flooded with horror stories like these...
    http://www.thegatesofdawn.ca/wordpress/posts/2006/12/10/ups-brokerage-fee-class-action/
    canuckland
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    It is not Chris believe me. we ship a lot to Canada and the shipping is terrible. most of the time it is so close I could drive it over cheaper. the same size flat rate box is 11.oo here and 45.00 to there. plus customs and duty... just sucks for sure
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    We responded to your email within a very short time and explained the costs involved. We actually pride ourselves in the way we handle our customers, and sorry you felt like you had to get on a public forum and rant.

Cheers.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ