Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So I was asked to cook some food...

egginator
egginator Posts: 569
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I get to make pulled pork for the official Allen High School After Prom party. I only have a large, so I am going to make 4 x 7-8 pound pork shoulders. How many sandwiches do you think that will make?

Thanks,

Ed

Comments

• That sounds like ~50 quarter-pound-of-pork sandwiches to me, or ~100 realistic sandwiches.

Are you going to put cole slaw or other ingredients on the sandwiches? Your pork will go farther if you do...
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Ed,

Rule of thumb I use:

Bone-in Boston butt gives about 60% cooked meat yield.
    Allow 3-4 servings per pound of meat, depending on sides being served and 'hunger index' of the target crowd. :) Football team - 3 servings per pound, cheerleaders - 4-5 servings per pound (Maybe 6 if the football players are watching them). :ohmy:

4 x 8# = 32#. 60% yield = 19# servable meat. 3-4 servings per lb = 60-75 servings.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    7.5 average pound raw butts x 4 = 30 pounds raw pork. 40% loss due to shrinkage and waste = 18 pounds of cooked pulled pork. Figure 8 ounces for men,4 ounces for women and children.Basically figure 1 sammich for light eaters and 2 sammiches for heavier eaters(3 for teenage boys) depending on sides.18 x 4 = 72 servings,not people,servings.You do the math to suit your circumstance.I would rather err on the side of too much,pulled pork reheats well. ;)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Pretty close! ;) Looks like ya'll had a BLAST in Gulfport! Hate I missed it! :(
  • egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Thanks everyone!