Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So I've got 2 seven pound Boston Butts...

smokeybreeze
smokeybreeze Posts: 216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
...thawing in the refrigerator starting tonight. They will be Saturday's main dish.

I'll do one slathered with yellow mustard and spices, the other with a Kansas City rub (no sugar recipe) and I'll smoke them with the fat side up.

Depending on how thawed they are come Friday evening will determine how long I smoke them. I usually do them at 225-250 dome temp indirect heat for 18 +/- hours.

I will be vac-u-sealing the leftovers and freezing them off.

Anything else I need to think of other than lots of cold beer? :laugh:

I've had my BGE for less than 90 days and my log book shows I'll be on my 15th cook and I've gone through over 120 pounds of Cowboy lump to-date...

Hello, my name is Smokey and I'm an eggaholic...
...but I don't want to change :lol:

Comments

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    I've got two 9 pounders going as we speak. ;) They've been on about4 hours. The egg is chugging along nicely at 250. :)
  • niiice!

What's your preferred rub/spice mix? I'm still experimenting since I'm so new to this eggsperience.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Good Luck with your cook!

come Sat. night, I'm not sure I'll
    know where I'm at . . . :woohoo: :lol:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • BullyQue
    BullyQue Posts: 48
    Cowboy is good for quick cooks because it burns really hot. Royal Oak or other brands that they package work really well for a long cook.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Sounds like a plan.Good luck.Cook em indirect,250 dome temp til they hit 195 internal temp.Let the IT be your guide, not time. ;) BEST of Luck! :) Be sure to rest them for an hour or so before pulling them apart.If they get done early they can be wrapped in HDAF and placed in a cooler or a warm(150-170 degree oven) until you are ready to serve.Up to 4 hours or so. :)
  • Good to know Hoss -

Thanks for that tidbit. I've got an oven and a warming drawer that can do those temps and more.

Gosh I just love this forum for the useful info that I find everywhere.

Thanks all! You're the greatest!
  • hornhonk
    I injected them early this morning with Fab P that had been in the fridge over night, rubbed with Cluck and Squeal, cooking over Wicked Good lump with plenty of hickory chunks imbedded in layers in the lump. :)
  • Thanks Steve!

I think you just made my day!

I'll work with that and eat the results regardless :P
  • hornhonk
    Don't worry. It's hard to screw up pork butts. ;)
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    I can think of two things:

1) Plan for them to be done 4 hours before they are needed. This allows for some wiggle room and avoids having to take it off the grill before its trully done. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and then aluminium foil and put in a small cooler. They will keep more than 8 hours this way and frankly taste a bit better and the bark has a chance to steam soft!

It also allows for the egg to be used for some apps (like ABT's)

2) The other thing is you are using almost 8lbs of charcoal every time you cook. I think that I'm more like 2 lbs a cook but alot depends on what you cook, how hot, etc.

Good luck and have fun!
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Cowboy does tend to burn faster than some lumps as it often isn't as dense, but it is fine for overnights...

As others have said go 250 dome and give yourself some wiggle room in regards to time...

personally I've switched to fat side down...but don't want to start that debate.....meat in the egg stays so moist I don't want the dripping grease to wash off my rub or make my meat greasey....
  • hornhonk
    Done! 20 hours. Look how much lump is left. That's a bad picture of the butts! They look dried out. Believe me, they're not. I had to scoop them off the Egg with my pizza peel. Falling apart, they were. ;) Can you tell I love pulled pork? :laugh:

100_0688.jpg

100_0690.jpg